Neutral switch question

Hey all.  I am thinking on making my neutral switch light an LED at the dash.  From what I can tell.  1--it is a simple "continuity" switch, and 2--it also is wired to the CDI box.  It also appears that it is a switch that controls the ground side of a circuit. (yes or no)

I have definitely seen an aftermarket "neutral switch delete" plate that you can bolt in place of the OEM switch, which leads me to believe that the switch does very little in the CDI box?  (yes or no)

So--if i were to use the OEM switch to open or close a circuit that runs a single LED at the dash, would I have to disconnect the sky blue wire that runs to the CDI?  If so: what does the sky blue wire "tell" the CDI?

Lastly:  I think I know how I plan to wire a circuit through the neutral switch, but am often a bonehead at wiring and electrics, so if you wanted to accomplish what I am trying to do...how would you wire it?  (totally asking for suggestions here)

Thanks!

I don't know what year model your dealing with so this could be wrong for your case, but I installed a trailtech vapor with the optional "dash" ( basically 4 lights on a bezel attached to the computer) one of the lights I chose to do a neutral light. (Wr400 by the way) I ran a 12 volt hot wire to one side of the bulb, and basically intercepted the factory switch wire to get the ground. I think it was blue but can't remember honestly. It works like a charm. Handy too. Nothing like killing your bike at the stop light. Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ridesanoldbike said:

I don't know what year model your dealing with so this could be wrong for your case, but I installed a trailtech vapor with the optional "dash" ( basically 4 lights on a bezel attached to the computer) one of the lights I chose to do a neutral light. (Wr400 by the way) I ran a 12 volt hot wire to one side of the bulb, and basically intercepted the factory switch wire to get the ground. I think it was blue but can't remember honestly. It works like a charm. Handy too. Nothing like killing your bike at the stop light. Lol

07 450...and yeah.  what you said you did is what I am thinking on doing.  No ill effects on the CDI or bike running?  I am thinking if it is on the ground side then, no.....

I have no idea what my neutral switch is for, being that I have no e start. But no, I haven't noticed any issues with it.
Yep, it's just a switch that grounds a circuit. So if you use that same ground it shouldn't have any effect on anything. Just be sure to use good splices with heat shrink tubing if your not planning on soldering the wires. You don't want to get any corrosion going in there.

• Like 1

I have also added a neutral light to my 09 WR450F.

The "sky blue" wire runs from the neutral switch near the shift lever to the CDI. I initially had trouble trying to find it, but I was able to tap into a blue wire at a connector under the fuel tank. I am not sure if it the same "sky blue" wire (it may have been blue or blue/white) but it does work for the neutral light and causes no problems.  Not all WR450s have the same wiring and it changes slightly from year to year. 

I think I read somewhere that the "sky blue" wire  function is to change the ignition mapping while in neutral to make it easier on the electric starter, and to also prevent damage to the engine from over revving while in neutral. 

WR450F%20wiring%20diagram1%20w%20Sky%20B

WR450F wiring diagram1 w Sky Blue.jpg

Edited by msowsun
  • Like 1

So the neutral switch limits the rpm to 9000 instead of 9650??

OK--so I did the neutral light up to the trailtech dash and it worked....but the light also comes on in 3rd??

Anyone?....