Possible Blown Engine? Drz400E

I have done some research and I can not find any answers so I am asking if any of you have an idea.  This past weekend I went out to the sand dunes for Easter weekend and I threw a paddle on my Drz and went out.  I got plenty of riding in and was pushing the bike pretty hard the whole time and it was running like a champ. On the final day we were going out for the last ride we came to a pretty steep hill and as I started riding up it the bike started cutting out really hard and it sounded like the piston was having a hard time trucking along so I dropped a gear because I was loosing speed and hit the throttle harder thinking that because I was low in rpm's it was doing that.  When I did that it started cutting out worse and sounded like it was having an even harder time so I turned around and made it to the bottom.  When I reached the bottom and put in neutral it abruptly cut out so I checked my gas and I still had half a tank so I tried starting it again and it absolutely refused to start with my electric start until the battery died then would not start after 15 minutes of kick starting.  So my question is are these signs of a possible blown engine? and if so where do I start to look? I am pretty mechanically inclined and will be doing a complete engine tear down this weekend but any advice will be very helpful.

I don't know, but it seems possible considering it wouldn't kick. Either way please update! Pictures would be awesome too if you do find carnage.... 

Edited by Atolduso

I had a similar incident, sand got passed the filter and lost compression, had to split the case and clean/inspect everything cuz it got passed the rings. Hope it didn't happen to you..

I've also seen it get in the fuel tank and clog up the jets, maybe check the carb and jets before you do a tear down, good luck

I bought the bike when it wasn't street legal and the previous owner said it got used quite a bit before it sat for a few years so I have no idea on how many miles and the service it has received. I personally have put 9000 miles on it, have done 2 oil changes, and put a new valve cover gasket on it since I got it street legal and did the motard conversion in August of last year. I got it a screaming deal because the last owner had blown the valve cover seal and it would spray oil everywhere and he also tried rejett the bike and failed pretty badly and when I bought it the bike was barely running. I rebuilt the carb 1000 miles ago, it has the original air filter, and everything else original. I can update with pictures this weekend after I have exhausted all other possibilities. 

Your saying you have only changed the oil twice in 9000 miles!!!!! A lot of people on here including myself change the oil every 500 miles. Every 4500 miles is asking for trouble for sure. I hope it doesn't turn out to be to serious. Lets hope its the stator or something less serious, fix it, and then CHANGE THAT OIL! REGULARLY :)

2 hours ago, Seth Pearce said:

I personally have put 9000 miles on it, have done 2 oil changes

I think we've found the problem.

• Like 3

When duning, i would change the oil in my dizzer after two days of riding. Duning puts alot of stress on a bike.20160210_154125.jpg.a7c26acae241e66908ae410e32dc9805.jpg

• Like 3

Oh boy popcorn.gif

Hard trail and sand high rev riding that should have been changed at least 3x more often. That motor must be destroyed, I wonder how the tranny gears look too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tarka said:

Your saying you have only changed the oil twice in 9000 miles!!!!! A lot of people on here including myself change the oil every 500 miles. Every 4500 miles is asking for trouble for sure. I hope it doesn't turn out to be to serious. Lets hope its the stator or something less serious, fix it, and then CHANGE THAT OIL! REGULARLY :)

That's pretty frequent for a DRZ. Most people go 1000-3000. Of course everyone should get oil anaylsis to find whats optimal

I do most of my mileage on the road at fairly high revs and if I'm off road I ride it pretty hard. I prefer to change it at 500 miles for peace of mind really. I know many people here change every 1000 miles which is about as far as they will go. Bottom line is, although a good quality oil might seem expensive, rebuilds are VERY expensive.

• Like 1