New-to-me 250x

Picked up a 1-owner, stock, 2004 model for my 15yo as he has outgrown his DRZ125L.  Previous owner said it had been sitting for at least 3yrs with fuel in the tank and carb.  Needs fork seals, air filter, tires, brakes, chain/sprockets, battery, and a good general cleaning.  Grab'd it for $1000 titled.  I've already ordered the air filter, sprockets, and cleaned the carb 4 times to get it to idle on its own. Valves measured in-spec and compression is good, too. I'll be teaching him some tech here pretty soon once his tires ship. He's been riding all over our property for the last week before finally being able to hit the mountains yesterday.  Runs pretty good, but has that AP bog to sort out.  Considering its a 1-owner and only a grand, I'd say I got a good deal! Besides, if he pisses me off too much, I'll have a new bike to ride!

Here's a pic of our local Pipestone riding area, near Butte, Montana.  My boy's 250x, my 1996 KTM 300, and my 11yo inherited the DRZ:

bikes.jpg

rocks.jpg

Delmoe Lake.jpg

Edited by notinthedirtagain
  • Like 1

Looks fun! Plus you can just THREATEN to take it away as a disciplinary action. :p

Oh, been-there-done-that!  Last night, we had some garage time wrenching on his bike.  Taught him some basic bike maintenance and got his hands dirty.  He replaced the air filter and adjusted the chain tension after I swapped out his front sprocket (14t to 13t).  The electric start on my 1983 Aero 80 doesn't work, so I robbed the 1yo battery and stuck it in his 250x. Also wired up a pigtail into the airbox for a trickle charger.  He's pretty stoked now.  Did a few wheelies across the yard gauging the difference in the low end with the new sprocket. Got his front rotor cleaned up and replaced the pads.  Fork seals are leaking so its only a matter of time.....

Sweet! I can't wait for the day I get to do this with my kids. They're still 3yo and 1yo. Looking to get my 3yo started on an OSET electric bike this summer.  Kids these days get too much time in front of screens/devices. My kids won't!