Red Sticker in CA

Risking it after May 1st anyone know how much a Red Sticker Ticket costs if I would (or not ) want to "Risk it" this year?

Just stay away from the OHV parks and you should be OK.  I ride in the desert year round and never have any issues.  Of course I don't do anything to draw unwanted attention to myself.

I really wish they would shelve this crap.  All this does is encourage everyone to keep there foul running pre 2003 two strokes going.  

There's quite a few places that don't enforce red sticker at all, you can look the list up. Tracks, most dunes, high elevation forestry stuff.. take a look.

11 minutes ago, RV Salesman Matt said:

all the places worth riding it dont matter

are you the Winnebago man, thats a great documentary  

• Like 1

plate your red sticker in AZ and it won't matter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAZR_ said:

plate your red sticker in AZ and it won't matter

As long as you don't go to a Cal OHV park (unless you have an Arizona DL)..

Edited by dyrtmon

As long as you don't go to a Cal OHV park (unless you have an Arizona DL)..

not true. license plate trump's any green sticker/red sticker.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RAZR_ said:

Except you would need an AZ DL or you can get a registration ticket for avoiding CA reg and will then be forced to transfer to CA if you'll be riding there for more than 7 days or w.e. it is. 

2 hours ago, RAZR_ said:

That's what I thought. Until a ranger at Carnegie and Hollister saw a plated 300 (way newer than an 02) stopped the guy took down the VIN and turned it into the DMV who yanked the plate. Unbelievable. USFS rangers don't care but the Cal Park rangers in their little fishbowl sure as hell do.

• Like 1

Register it out of state, with a state ID, like AZ, then buy the out of state use sticker. 

And don't ride gay places that check your bike. 

• Like 2

That's what I thought. Until a ranger at Carnegie and Hollister saw a plated 300 (way newer than an 02) stopped the guy took down the VIN and turned it into the DMV who yanked the plate. Unbelievable. USFS rangers don't care but the Cal Park rangers in their little fishbowl sure as hell do.

1) the rangers can't yank my AZ plate. it was legally transferred in AZ and is recognized in AZ as a street legal vehicle.

2) my insurance is also legal and states the bike is registered in AZ. but the insurance paperwork comes to my CA home.

3) i have property in AZ where the bike resides most of the time but live and make a living in CA so to then bring the vehicle into CA to ride, i am 100% legal to do so. so my DL does not need to be AZ.

people do this same thing with RV's. they have property in AZ (or a different state) but they live in CA. they register the RV in AZ, but they drive that RV throughout the US and Canada and Mexico without any problems since the registration is 100% legal.
the CHP couldn't ticket them for having AZ registration and a CA DL.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RAZR_ said:

1) the rangers can't yank my AZ plate. it was legally transferred in AZ and is recognized in AZ as a street legal vehicle.

2) my insurance is also legal and states the bike is registered in AZ. but the insurance paperwork comes to my CA home.

3) i have property in AZ where the bike resides most of the time but live and make a living in CA so to then bring the vehicle into CA to ride, i am 100% legal to do so. so my DL does not need to be AZ.

people do this same thing with RV's. they have property in AZ (or a different state) but they live in CA. they register the RV in AZ, but they drive that RV throughout the US and Canada and Mexico without any problems since the registration is 100% legal.

My twin? 

Hahaha... exactly!

But why... I must have a CA DL for the next 11 weeks. I work at, and drive a guberment vehicle. 

1 hour ago, RAZR_ said:

Hey - totally cool, I hope that keeps working for you where you ride. My point was that up here in the state OHV parks they will fvck with you if you have a plated bike that is technically a red sticker, and if you have an out of state plated (red sticker) bike and can't prove that you live in said state they will fvck with you.

The USFS rangers won't (or haven't yet). I have a plated 2t and will not ride it at my local state OHV park because it ain't worth having the plate yanked.

• Like 1

I know a tried and true method to have both a CA drivers license and an AZ license at the same time you can whip out whichever one you need if any yall is worried ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Hey - totally cool , I hope that keeps working for you where you ride. My point was that up here in the state OHV parks they will fvck with you if you have a plated bike that is technically a red sticker, and if you have an out of state plated (red sticker) bike and can't prove that you live in said state they will fvck with you.

The USFS rangers won't (or haven't yet). I have a plated 2t and will not ride it at my local state OHV park because it ain't worth having the plate yanked.

An AZ ID card and the ability to RECITE your AZ address is a plus when dealing with those guys.  But yes the Feds couldn't care less.  

When DMV is doing CARBs work...  CHP is doing roadside inspections for gas can compliance rolling in and out of Glamis...  Park rangers using a picture book to verify smog equipment at the gate on plated dirt bikes at CA OHV parks and sending DMV non-compliance letters. 

State agencies support each other to maximize taxation....  It's NUTZ

• Like 1