"17 Xtrainer first ride impressions

I got a first ride on the new bike this past Saturday. The bike is mostly as good as I've read about; great torque, easy manners, doesn't misbehave. The power valve came turned way in(about 4 threads showing) which might have something to do with that. I was taking it easy, as it's in the break-in stage, but still went through all the gears a few times. Mostly just trucked around in 3rd. Very impressed with that, just like I was riding my 450(almost). I was concerned about the tires(Shinko 215's), but they did ok in a mix of hard packed shell to soft sand. The bike seems jetted rich, but that's probably good for the break-in. The front actually seemed a little stiff, definitely not as soft as I expected. The bars are in the way for adjusting, so not to impressed with that.The rear was soft. Overall, I love the bike. I would not be disappointed if it were my only bike. Reading about some of it's issues has me nervous about electrical connections, but  most seem to be the clip together type that lock. I have started to apply dielectric grease. One thing bugs me. The computer readout is euro, and the owners manual leaves a little to be desired in changing it. Bottom line; great bike that a variety of people can enjoy.

Take the handle bars off, turn the adjuster on both legs clockwise fully (max), set and forget. Since they will be maxed you won't have to adjust them again and that is the best they are going to get. I found my forks stiffer then I thought they where going to be.

After break in, adjust your float about 1 mm lower.

Thanks, I'll try that. So going full clockwise made them softer?

I appreciate your advice, however, since the bike is supposedly for the wife, I need to soften it. Everything I read said too soft, front and rear. I felt the front was a little harsh. I think the rear will be fine, just need to soften the front. I weigh 192 w/o gear. I'm not about to ask the war department what she weighs, but definitely less than I do! . So if harsh for me, definitely worse for her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumiv said:

I'm not about to ask the war department what she weighs....

Holy hell, I am laughing.  I hope that is a term of endearment?  War Department?  :) 

If she gets on a bike she is automatically cooler than a lot of ladies out there.

• Like 1

I would check fork alignment and re torque the triple clamps. A little out of alignment or over torqued will result in harshness.

Bruce

Be aware that too soft (fast) damping settings can also result in harsh suspension characteristics in certain conditions.

susp0110.jpg

• Like 1

I found the xtrainer forks both soft and harsh stock. If you are heavy they ride down in the stroke giving a harsher feeling. Properly sprung it rides up higher and actually feels tighter but softer. Thicker oil and/or uprated valving to match helps. If your wife is 155 or less she might actually find it less harsh than you

Good info here. I wasn't going to adjust sag till it gets a little more broken in. I will check torque on the triples. We'll see how she likes it after her first ride. And, yes, war dept. is an affectionate term, although I don't say it to her face.

Edited by drumiv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drumiv said:

war dept. is an affectionate term, although I don't say it to her face.

A.K.A. minister for war and peace...... lol

• Like 1