2007 DRZ400SM Cranks A Long Time Before Starting

This is something that's been going on for a few months now. My 2007 DRZ would take a long time cranking before it will start.

What I'd have to do every time I want to ride it after it's been left alone for more than an hour is to hold the starter button and pump the throttle  over and over, stopping every 5 seconds, let it rest for 10 seconds, and then cranking it for 5 seconds again, repeat ad infinitum until it fires.

When it finally starts the bike runs perfectly fine, and if I shut it off and try to start it again in the next few minutes or so, it starts right up without any issue.

I had changed my spark plugs recently, and the battery is fine. Do you think it's the carbs that are gunked up or do I need to have my valves adjusted?

If I pull out the choke fully, the bike will wheeze like it's gonna start, but the net effect is the same, it'll still crank over and over and over until it starts. In fact I think it's easier to get it to start without the choke being pulled out.

Edit: I smell a bit of gas from the choke side of the carb. I think the reason may be the carb's being flooded. I'll try and replace the float and petcock and see if the issue rectifies itself.

Edited by Reize

If you have a FCR carb your pumping a bunch of gas down the intake by twisting the throttle a bunch of times , not needed other than maybe 2 before hitting the button . If you have the Mikuni carb your doing absolutely nothing by "pumping" the throttle , your best to just open it maybe 18 to 14 turn and letting it there while you crank .

Check that your choke plunger is not gummed up and maybe not closing or opening like it should.

Check your valve clearances .

Edited by jjktmrider

Agreed, check valve clearances, then check compression, or better yet have a leak down test Done. The symptoms line up and even if it's good you can confidently go about checking/replacing other things knowing the basic engine is OK. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 9:16 AM, jjktmrider said:

editing my previous post to point out I was saying" turn the throttle 1/8 to 1/4 turn when cranking" , my / button must not have been working .

How fast is the battery turning the motor over ?

Edited by jjktmrider

29 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

How fast is the battery turning the motor over ?

At full capacity. I already did the shake down on the battery a while ago as a possible suspect for the bike not starting at all, which turned out to be the carbon brush in the starter.

I also changed the spark plugs like 3 weeks ago. 

So this has to either be a problem with fuel not being delivered, fuel flooding, a problem with compression (valves, piston rings,etc.). It's the weekday so I haven't found the time to eliminate the first suspect yet, which is whether my carb being flooded by either a leaky vacuum valve and/or float.

Okay just a quick update. Turns out it's several reasons.

Cleaned the carburetors, had to adjust the float height because gas wasn't flowing while on the sidestand causing it to be starved of fuel. Valves had to be cleaned and adjusted to remove buildup.

And that was all I needed to fix the hard starting issue.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reize said:

Okay just a quick update. Turns out it's several reasons.

Cleaned the carburetors, had to adjust the float height because gas wasn't flowing while on the sidestand causing it to be starved of fuel. Valves had to be cleaned and adjusted to remove buildup.

And that was all I needed to fix the hard starting issue.

Good on ya for updating. Dislike when things are left open forever, doesn't help future googlers!

• Like 2