Tire Recommendations

Looking for advice on DOT tires for my 06 XR650L, I ride 90% trails, but would like to hit the rode every now and then. Any recommendations?

MC40 maybe?

XCMH is my current favorite, front and rear.

Knobby grip, great on wet pavement and rock, sand, mud, with no bad road manners.

The motoz tires get good feedback, I haven't run 'em.

MT-21 and D-606 are good if you don't see a lot of soft stuff. MT21 is a great slick rock choice.

The terrorflex is the traction king, with bad manners to match, I advise not to run it unless you need it. If you DO need it, it'll make you king of the hill/mudhole/sandpits.

Almost anything will fit but might require removal of the chain guard, or just putting up with a little rubbing on it.

I had to deal with all kinds of sticks and roots and vines getting stuck because of the chain guard, just took it off. The bottom of the chain gets dragged through the mud, a little more from the top won't make any difference.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:15 AM, XR650L_Dave said:

MT-21 and D-606 are good if you don't see a lot of soft stuff. MT21 is a great slick rock choice.

This would be my choice.  I currently have a D606 on the rear, but I hadn't worn out the TKC-80 on the front, so have stuck with that.  It works reasonably well on the front.  I don't like the TKC-80 on the rear, though - I don't have much confidence cornering on twisty paved roads with that tire.  The D606 is better in every way in my opinion as a rear tire.

Yep, D-606 rear and MT-21 front.  After running other combos and doing lots of forum research, this has proven to be the best for service length and varied traction.

• Like 1

To be fair, I ran Shinko 7-sometings after I took off the stock Deathwings because I didn't want to spend too much until I knew what kind of riding I was going to do.  Here in the northeast, we have mud, gravel, washed-out and rocky ascents, and roots.  The Shinkos went about 2000 miles before the knobs wore dangerously low and got me through everything.

I like the Michelin 130-80 T63 rear, it's lower profile than most others so doesn't raise set height as much.

Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front and I like it too.

I wonder what kind of cop pulls you over and then looks for the "DOT" stamped on the tires?

I like the Michelin 130-80 T63 rear, it's lower profile than most others so doesn't raise set height as much.
Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front and I like it too.
I wonder what kind of cop pulls you over and then looks for the "DOT" stamped on the tires?

I wonder the same thing. I run MX52 fronts, I'll take the traction and risk the ticket.

You would be surprised, in Colorado they check a few things on the trail, ohv, spark arresters. I've never been pulled over on the street yet,