2002 CRF450R Hard to Start After Shimming Valves 3 weeks ago

Hello all,

I have a question and for all I know it might be a simple thing and I was looking in the wrong place, but here it goes. I have been looking around Craigslist for a different bike and I came across a 2002 CRF450R that seems to be in good condition, all stock except for a couple small things. I started talking to the owner and he said he had it shimmed 3 weeks ago and it would start on the first kick, but now it has sat for about a week and it takes a bunch of kicks, but it will start still. He said he thinks the bike sucked something into the carb. My worry is that this is going to be expensive. Do you guys know what this might be?

Thanks in advance!

I've read that when those valves start going they go fast.  They may have "zero'd out".  If so, that's expensive and if not and he really did suck something in the carb, that could get really expensive.

My advice is to pass and save up and get a 06-08 or newer bike or even a 03-05. The 02 had a bad airbox/boot and the handling up front was not so good.  Not a terrible bike but not one of Honda's best either.

Alright, thanks for the info. I've just been trying to trade my current bike for something newer. I have a 1994 KDX200, but I kinda wanna try out a 4 stroke and not spend any money if I can help it. Thank you for the help though!

I would keep the kdx, for track/moto no, but for trails,mnts,single track then that is an awesome bike, but some kx forks on it and youll have a woods killer, Ive owned a kdx 200 and kdx 220 and 3 crf450;s 2 250's and the kdx;s are awesome bikes, theres a reason he wants to trade and its probably the reason you shouldn't trade

On 4/18/2017 at 7:41 AM, dkelley42 said:

Hello all,

I have a question and for all I know it might be a simple thing and I was looking in the wrong place, but here it goes. I have been looking around Craigslist for a different bike and I came across a 2002 CRF450R that seems to be in good condition, all stock except for a couple small things. I started talking to the owner and he said he had it shimmed 3 weeks ago and it would start on the first kick, but now it has sat for about a week and it takes a bunch of kicks, but it will start still. He said he thinks the bike sucked something into the carb. My worry is that this is going to be expensive. Do you guys know what this might be?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to do more riding and less fixing i would buy a brand new bike. 

1 hour ago, Cdizzle666 said:

If you want to do more riding and less fixing i would buy a brand new bike. 

See, the problem with that is I don't have to $8000 or so that go into buying a new bike. Thanks though

I understand, its the route i would of went if i new how much time and cash i was gonna have to dump into my used 02 crf450r to make it run and reliable. Now im stuck with 15 year old technology and geometry.

It could be a clogged jet as well. It would take less the 15mins to filp the cab to look at it.