Coolant in oil?

My buddy just bought this 2005 CRF450X.  I was going to do some maintenance to it but looks to me like coolant in the oil.  Oil level way too high and looks like yellowish/chocolate color, coolant level too low to see.  Trans oil appears to be just oil.  What do you think?

oil.1.jpg

oil.1.jpg

oil.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll give him the bad news.  Don't know if I can fix it, I can take apart 2 strokes but never did a 4-stroke.

If you can do a 2, you certainly can do a 4.

Investing in a shop manual would be wise, but you could do it by asking a lot of questions here if you had too.   The biggest thing is getting the cam timing right after putting the head back on.

For the head, no special tools required other than a torque wrench and a set of feeler gauges to check the valve lash (might as well do it as long as your taking the head off).

I'd also seriously consider a new piston, rings, and cam chain if you don't know it's maintenance history.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

I just downloaded a manual and will look thru the procedure to see if I'm comfortable with it.  I agree with piston, rings, etc but will have to see how much money he wants to put in it.

Jim was right, not too bad doing 4 stroke top end.  All is good after putting it back together with new head and base gaskets.  I think the issue was caused by the coolant siphon hose routed wrong.  It was pinched between the frame and left side radiator, the metal clip was also installed backwards and was crushed into the hose holding it closed.  If you look closely at the first picture it shows how it was installed, this is after I pulled the hose out from the clip/mounting bolt area.  The second picture is how the manual shows it should have been routed and clip installed.  Third picture shows clean oil now.  I think the siphon hose being clamped shut caused too much pressure and it blew out the head gasket.  The head did have a low spot (.0025") that I fixed before reinstalling.   The bike runs great and has plenty of power, I might have to switch to a 4 stroke.  Electric start is also starting to spoil me!  

jojo.jpg

jojo1.jpg

jojo2.jpg

• Like 1