New here (first post), need help. 2017 KTM 250 SX

I'm new to Thumper talk. So here goes my first post. (I've heard great things about this forum!! )

I just bought a new 2017 KTM 250 SX, when I bought the bike from the dealer the mechanic left the gas on. I didn't see this until hours later. 

I shut the gas off and drained the float bowl.  I can not seem to get the bike to start WITHOUT giving it a little gas. I know this isn't the route I should be taking so with that being said

are there any suggestions on what I should try?

Before when I turned the gas on, it would come out of the over flow of the carb. Took that off cleaned it out and adjust the float height a little bit. I shouldn't have to do this on a brand new bike.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Most modern 4-strokes have accelerator pumps...to start cold, I have always given the throttle a couple of quick turns before hitting the button...the float on a new bike shouldn't stick or require adjustment...maybe try the KTM forum to see if there is an issue

• Like 1

New bike with a problem (fuel flowing out the over flow) you should of made the dealer resolve it.

Usually, it is just a little debris in the float needle seat.

While the dealer should of closed the petcock, you should never assume and ensured the bike was ready for transport, which includes shutting off the petcock. Check your oil for fuel contamination. Change if so.

Normal starting procedure on a bike run in the last 24 hours is open petcock, open chock, kick. If the bike has been sitting a few days, a couple quick twists of the throttle, then kicking (throttle closed, on choke) should do it. It will almost always require two or three kicks to light it off from cold.

• Like 1

So are you saying that after adjusting the float level, it's no longer overflowing? I'm trying to understand if that is relevant to the issue your having, or just side story.

Did you turn the choke on?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sofiedog said:

Most modern 4-strokes have accelerator pumps...to start cold, I have always given the throttle a couple of quick turns before hitting the button...the float on a new bike shouldn't stick or require adjustment...maybe try the KTM forum to see if there is an issue

It's actually a 2 Stroke, but I understand what you are saying. Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Phineas7 said:

So are you saying that after adjusting the float level, it's no longer overflowing? I'm trying to understand if that is relevant to the issue your having, or just side story.

Did you turn the choke on?

Yes, after I adjusted the float level a SMIDGE it is no longer overflowing. 

The choke was turned on when I tried to start it, but it wouldn't fire up. The only thing that got it started was me turning the choke off and giving it a little gas.

10 hours ago, rbernard35 said:

It's a 2 stoke fellas

Thank you! I didn't understand why they moved it to the 4 stroke section. Ahhh. 

Your probably getting it to start with the throttle cracked and the choke off because that will allow the motor to suck some air. They come jetted extremely rich on the pilot circuit, throw a 32.5pilot in it and you'll be able to use the choke. for some reason ktm decided to put pilots 5 sizes richer on the SX's then the xc/xcw.

• Like 2