Used Pricing for 125's, WOW!

I would like to get some perspective from other members. I'm looking for a used 125 for my 14 yr old son, Yamaha TRR, Honda, Honda CFR125, etc. Beginner~ish type bike, easy to ride.

Looking on CL I'm seeing asking prices in the $1200+ range for bikes that are 10 to 15 years old. Bluebook on these things are generally about 1/2 of the asking price, at least here in Colorado. What are you guys finding?

• Like 1

1000 -1800 is about the same around here. Hard to find any electric start ttr for under 1500

Bluebook on used dirt bikes is useless, its all about what the market will bear.  Now is the wrong time of year to be looking as far as prices go.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, missin44 said:

I would like to get some perspective from other members. I'm looking for a used 125 for my 14 yr old son, Yamaha TRR, Honda , Honda CFR125, etc. Beginner~ish type bike, easy to ride.

Looking on CL I'm seeing asking prices in the $1200+ range for bikes that are 10 to 15 years old. Bluebook on these things are generally about 1/2 of the asking price, at least here in Colorado. What are you guys finding?

Missin44. Yamaha 125l is a good bike for beginners. Good power, but controllable . Doesn't make you feel like your out of control. I'm in Columbus oh. and around here a 2001 goes for $1000 to  1200 dollars in decent shape. Just make sure when you go to look at it that the motor is cold and start it. TTR's ars not none to be good starters when there cold. The carbs get gummed up or something. Find one you like and put a new carb on it. Check the price first.

when he's out grown this , look at the 230. Some type of bike only larger. Handles the same as the 125l only faster.  No kick start on Esther of these though. Have to have a good battery.  Good luck.

Edited by CCBake

This is the worst possible time of year to shop for a used dirt bike of any type. Spring combined with tax returns makes for a solid sellers market.

It cracks me up some of the prices that I see people asking for worn out junk. I don't know what's worst, pit bikes with higher than new from a dealer asking prices, or people that think anything from Japan is worth a grand even as a parts bike.  

The best one that I've seen this year was a KLX 110 bodystyle Chinese pit with actual Kawasaki plastics on it, being passed off as a real KLX. 

Just two weeks ago I sold the CRF 80 that I called the red headed step child for nearly enough to buy  my son a new Thumpstar pit bike. It was made from two broken CRFs and some miscellaneous hardware from other bikes. Everything was put together correctly, and I did use OEM Honda parts for the engine top end job. That being said, I personally rated the bike as good, not great. I had about $450 into it, a day and half of wrench time (spread out over a few months), about half of that was teaching time with my son. We probably had 4 hrs of ride time on it when it was sold.

The buyer wasn't a noob, and I was upfront on all aspects of the bikes history. He happily paid my asking price, and told me that every other CRF, XR and ttr that he'd seen at my asking price were piles of poop. He was stoked that mine started first kick from stone cold, didn't smoke or leak, and the steering head, swingarm and linkage bearings were all good. 

I'm going to build another one next winter, list it on the first week of April and ask a couple hundred more.

Don't know what is up with the TTR market.  Here in Socal a couple years back you could get nice ones all day long for 1K. Beaters were plentiful for 5-600.  I rarely see them that cheap any longer.  People must have realized they are fun little bikes.

A TTR 125 is free. You give $1400 for it, ride it for two years, and sell it for $1400.

• Like 3