Sign in to follow this  

One more xr200 cr125 conversion

IMG_1525.JPGHad a rolling 1985 cr125 chassis sitting behind the shed for years (motor went to a shifter cart). Also had a few xr200r engines and frames collecting dust.. pulled the trigger and started the cxr200r. Seen a few over the years and always wanted one. I have probably 40 hrs into the frame.. lotsa unforeseen issues, especially carb clearance! Coming out nicely, here's the build so far.IMG_1473.JPGIMG_1514.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1527.JPGIMG_1528.JPGIMG_1530.JPG

• Like 4

Great photos!   I can't imagine taking something like this on... above my skill set at the moment.  Looking forward to see your progress

The XRs have the kicker in a different location than the 2Ts so you may need be creative to have enough swing on the kicker to start the engine.

The cradle looks like a XR cradle so you could use the XR pegs because the right bracket has clearance for the kicker to swing down, and a stop for the kicker.

On my RM conversion I used the RM cradle and pegs and the XR kicker hit the top of the peg. The brake lever ran under the peg so I added a latch cam to the peg that engaged the brake lever when it was folded up, a slight push on the brake pedal released the peg. Also a slight bend in the kicker to clear the folded peg.

This pic shows the peg in the up position and the latch cam hooked on the brake pedal. I brazed the latch cam to the peg. Compare the kicker to a stock one and you will be able to see the slight bend; just heat to red and bend, then let air cool.  That kicker is now 30+ years old.

58fa98855e46e_HonzukiKickStarter.JPG.35cf53190a149384f163dea2695e9b41.JPG

58fa992cbd756_HonzukiKickStarter(3).JPG.ecce1cc20a4e2215e1899ea0cc1da211.JPG

• Like 3

Chuck, I remember seeing that RM build a while back in 2007 or so. I'm putting the xr pegs on since I used the xr cradle, get full stroke that way. A local guy WASCO gave me some pointers on the conversion (you probably know him since your a thumper guru).

10 hours ago, daytripper72 said:

Chuck, I remember seeing that RM build a while back in 2007 or so. I'm putting the xr pegs on since I used the xr cradle, get full stroke that way. A local guy WASCO gave me some pointers on the conversion (you probably know him since your a thumper guru).

In 07? There were 5 of those conversions and I know the location of 3. Do you remember where, or the circumstances, of your sighting?

Some of us had WASCO do some/all of the work and a couple of us did our own conversions. I did my own and some work for others. I made the latching folding pegs for the five bikes. Two of us were competing in Enduros so I made the tooling and parts to install an odo drive to the RM wheel.

Like the link there was a local Honda dealer who in the 80s did CR250/XR250 conversions.

I remember tossing the idea of a conversion around back then with a friend Brian Keene, he told me about a guy who made the foot peg/brake release he saw in the computer (guessing it was you). I looked it up in the web and read a write up about it.

The difficult part of the conversion was the frame blocking the carburetor, wasco told me that the frame had to be cut out and a new piece fabricated that looped around the intake. I flipped the cr intake 180 deg. And made a rubber adapter/reducer to the carb. I can't wait to test ride this thing.

Lots of stuff gets in the way of a carb on conversions. We used two solutions on the RM chassis: Some used the XR200 twin shock manifold which pointed the carb to the center of the bike. Others used the XR200R manifold, which pointed the carb to the right of center.  Then a foam sock filter or a K&N pod depending on available room. And then some kind of a housing for water protection. The K&N worked fine in the PNW.

• Like 1

Progress has been slow. Front forks are rebuilt, all the controls are in the handle bars, clutch hooked up.. the front caliper was an issue. I called Honda dealers and they can't get them anymore, so I located two used ones, they were both garbage. I found a new late model xr250r caliper for a good deal. It works great, just had to drill the mounting holes out 1mm. Tackling the wire harness next..IMG_1619.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1622.JPGIMG_1626.JPGIMG_1624.JPG

• Like 1

Might you have any good looking xr200r case covers cause mine are messed up. I have a 1990 and a 1995 xr200r that I am restoring neither of them run yet the 1990 sounds like it wants to I have everything set but all the compression leaks out in between the valve cover and the part the valves and the valve springs go in and I don't know what I should do about it any suggestions. Your project sounds cool and I can't wait to see how it turns out.IMG_0688.JPG.1fa66e0186f1bfa9b93f4607aab0c493.JPG

1990IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.27ad452e415fe819709cbcda5921992c.JPG

Edited by Lui Troy

Just wondering..  have you ever noticed a bent/out of round rim while riding a dirt bike? 

They are bent to the side close to 1/2" in spots. Pretty bad