2018 rmz suspension?

Hey all sitting here day dreaming about the 18 rmz and excited for them to hit the states as the wife has approved the purchase of a new dirtbike for 2018. I'm a little curious of what motor mods have been done to increase power to keep up with the higher hp other brands and I've heard Showa suspension. Will this be the same fork as the Honda has? Just curious and interested If anyone out there has anymore info than me. Thanks.

• Like 1

Throttle body left a lot to be desired in the past. A lot of room  for improvement. I gained decent numbers from the Injectioneering throttle body mods. Flameouts, hard start and the subpar bottom end were all addressed with the mod. Chopping the throttle is now butter smooth even for those of us with a heavy throttle hand. I can only fathom that there is little doubt, that is where a majority of the HP comes from. If the improved throttle body is anywhere near my modded throttle body I will be happy. 

As for the forks... they are supposed to be making the move back to spring forks. Details on exactly which forks they will be are not confirmed. 

Biggest news is the massive diet the RMZ has been on since last summer. I will definitely be paying close attention in the coming months to see if it is worth the upgrade. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BDubb106 said:

Throttle body left a lot to be desired in the past. A lot of room  for improvement. I gained decent numbers from the Injectioneering throttle body mods. Flameouts, hard start and the subpar bottom end were all addressed with the mod. Chopping the throttle is now butter smooth even for those of us with a heavy throttle hand. I can only fathom that there is little doubt, that is where a majority of the HP comes from. If the improved throttle body is anywhere near my modded throttle body I will be happy. 

As for the forks... they are supposed to be making the move back to spring forks. Details on exactly which forks they will be are not confirmed. 

Biggest news is the massive diet the RMZ has been on since last summer. I will definitely be paying close attention in the coming months to see if it is worth the upgrade. 

Have you seriously heard it's dropped weight? How many lbs have you heard? 

I agree 100% about the Injectioneering mod. One of the best mods ever done for the Suzuki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kcstein said:

Have you seriously heard it's dropped weight? How many lbs have you heard? 

Yes... I do not have hard numbers but my buddies exact words were "it is not going to come close to the KTM or anything but it will be a big improvement over last year".

His info is usually pretty spot on. He said weight savings in swingarm, frame, airbox and engine. 

34 minutes ago, BDubb106 said:

Yes... I do not have hard numbers but my buddies exact words were "it is not going to come close to the KTM or anything but it will be a big improvement over last year".

His info is usually pretty spot on. He said weight savings in swingarm, frame, airbox and engine. 

I am sure it's gonna be a great bike,  but right now it's 18lbs heavier than the ktm. If you want spring forks, then add 3 lbs so it's now 21lbs it has to loose.

Then think the engine is the same castings, and it's heavy...so you've got to loose 21 lbs of the chassis. Does a frame even weigh that much?

3-4 hp is asking a lot with just a different throttle body.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a different note the new engine platform is supposed to be the same correct? My current rmz crank decided to die taking the cylinder with it. The crank and cylinder are repairable and I was thinking of doing so and keeping spares on hand so when this happens again someday I'm not down in the best time of year for riding for two weeks with the new bike

41 minutes ago, Andyb756 said:

On a different note the new engine platform is supposed to be the same correct? My current rmz crank decided to die taking the cylinder with it. The crank and cylinder are repairable and I was thinking of doing so and keeping spares on hand so when this happens again someday I'm not down in the best time of year for riding for two weeks with the new bike

I'm sure the internals will be the same, at least on the bottom end. Weight savings are supposed to come from the cases  from what I hear, so that is not 100% either. I will see what new info my buddy has for you. I do know that there are supposed to be changes to there head, so I cannot be certain whether that will affect the cylinder or not.

• Like 1

I'm sure the internals will be the same, at least on the bottom end. Weight savings are supposed to come from the cases  from what I hear, so that is not 100% either. I will see what new info my buddy has for you. I do know that there are supposed to be changes to there head, so I cannot be certain whether that will affect the cylinder or not.

Cool. I also might just make crank replacement a yearly winter project to prevent further problems in the future

27 minutes ago, Andyb756 said:

Cool. I also might just make crank replacement a yearly winter project to prevent further problems in the future

That's what I do... just makes things easier in the long run. Keep the spare though. If they do end up the same you will have one to throw in while the other is being rebuilt.

Edited by BDubb106

That's what I do... just makes things easier in the long run. Keep the spare though. If they do end up the same you will have one to throw in while the other is being rebuilt.

Yeah that sounds like a wise plan. Hey was it you that did ceramic bearings to gain some power? Not like I need it but maybe next time I might try it

On 4/18/2017 at 9:57 PM, Andyb756 said:

Yeah I'm thinkin it's between the Suzuki or the Honda. Didn't like the Yamaha and haven't ridden a ktm. Never really been a fan of the green bikes and from the reviews the Honda is supposed to corner well. More motor while losing weight and still having great handling and cornering would be great.

The Honda will have e-start and in its second year. I was looking hard at the new Suzuki but will be going Red again. I started with Suzy and have a soft spot for them but not this year

8 hours ago, Andyb756 said:

Yeah that sounds like a wise plan. Hey was it you that did ceramic bearings to gain some power? Not like I need it but maybe next time I might try it

Yep... they work as advertised. I would definitely recommend at least the wheel bearings.