Shorty clutch & brake levers

I have upgraded the clutch on the 250L with the EBC friction disks and springs. The clutch pull is easy, not hydraulic easy but easy as in 2 finger. On the brake side I never use more than 3 fingers. I would like to get shorty levers and both MSR and Moose make shortys. My excellent local parts shop guy say they fit the R models, but most likely not the L models due to dual sport peculiarities.

Does anyone know if these shortys will fit the 250L, or have you fit them to the bike with lever modifications?

If no one has installed them, I'll just cut the stock levers to the length I want - doesn't look as nice but it works, as I did cut my WR450 levers down and had no issues.

• Like 1

I have a pair of these cheap Knock Off Zeta Shorty Levers from Amazon. You need a bushing insert in the Clutch side to get it to work correctly but the reviews link you to the bushings you would need. Hard to beat a pair of levers for <$25

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Burgan said:

I have a pair of these cheap Knock Off Zeta Shorty Levers from Amazon. You need a bushing insert in the Clutch side to get it to work correctly but the reviews link you to the bushings you would need. Hard to beat a pair of levers for <$25

Thanks for the suggestion - I ordered a set of the levers plus the bushings

do these still allow for the clutch to interface with the little sensor that prevents you from starting in gear without the lever pulled?

16 minutes ago, Crapflinger said:

do these still allow for the clutch to interface with the little sensor that prevents you from starting in gear without the lever pulled?

Yea sure does

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, drdanbozeman said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I ordered a set of the levers plus the bushings

I found out the bushing thing when I bought mine and then did some measurements to get everything right and then posted a review on Amazon how to fix the levers so that they would fit.

ordered. i'll get some bushings (or make some) at work. the ones in the link in the reviews (might be yours) from china wouldn't show up till june apparently. easy enough to find an 8mm ID 10mm OD bushing

19 minutes ago, Crapflinger said:

ordered. i'll get some bushings (or make some) at work. the ones in the link in the reviews (might be yours) from china wouldn't show up till june apparently. easy enough to find an 8mm ID 10mm OD bushing

Only reason I truly linked those bushings is because those are the correct dimensions needed. The Clutch side thickness will be thinner than stock, if you get a bushing taller than the lever perch part. Then you can fashion up a M10 washer (w/ some grinding) to add a spacer into the thickness so there isn't any extra slop...

19 hours ago, Crapflinger said:

When I ordered the bushings they quoted a June delivery date, but they actually shipped the next day. So unless they are shipping on the slow boat from China, I expect them next week

On 4/18/2017 at 2:26 PM, Burgan said:

I received the levers a few weeks ago and the bushings a bit later. I was going to install them today, but even though I ordered (from Amazon) the levers for the 250L, the package says, and I quote - Neverland CNC CRF450R 02-08. I only tried the brake lever and it was very different than stock. Here is a pic... Do these really fit???

IMG_0668.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, drdanbozeman said:

I received the levers a few weeks ago and the bushings a bit later. I was going to install them today, but even though I ordered (from Amazon) the levers for the 250L, the package says, and I quote - Neverland CNC CRF450R 02-08. I only tried the brake lever and it was very different than stock. Here is a pic... Do these really fit???

IMG_0668.jpg

are you sure that's not the clutch lever (or that they didn't send you two clutch levers)? the levers I got from that link were most definitely correct. if you look at all the colors on that link except the black one, you can see what the brake lever SHOULD look like (with the wingding on the end)

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, drdanbozeman said:

IMG_0668.jpg

Those look nothing like the one I got. Looks like they sent you the wrong one... 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, drdanbozeman said:

IMG_0668.jpg

Definitely wrong ones. The levers I got had CRF250L on the packaging.  Should not say CRF450R.

those are the exact same ones as the ebay ones just with different labels. no clue why there wouldn't need the bearing. the stock clutch lever actually has one. the bearing is only needed on the clutch side...not sure how you DON'T need one as that hole in the clutch lever looks just as big as the one in ours in the picture. in practice, the hole in the brake and clutch levers should be the same size as the bushing/bearing (even in the stock lever) reduces the size of the hole in the lever to the same size as the brake hole. no clue why they didn't have a bushing in the brake lever on the stock ones.

I'd have to look at mine better. Maybe they came with the bushings, or I took the stock ones out and put in the new levers. Can't remember.

All I know is that they work. Bought them used from an inmate on ADVrider forums last year. They look exactly like the ebay ones. I'll look tonight and see what I did, but I'm guessing that I used the stock clutch lever bushing.

Edited by Force0321

So Force, you bought them from a person (an inmate???) used, not new and not from the ebay link, may or may not have put a bushing in it, or the inmate may have put a bushing in it, but you are guessing you put a bushing in it.

Either way these need to be modified to work.

14 hours ago, Evan D said:

So Force, you bought them from a person (an inmate???) used, not new and not from the ebay link, may or may not have put a bushing in it, or the inmate may have put a bushing in it, but you are guessing you put a bushing in it.

Either way these need to be modified to work.

I'm guessing you aren't a member on the advrider forums .http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-crf250l-owners-thread.823409/page-903

Members are affectionately referred to as Inmates. I'll go pull my clutch lever and take a look. Had to split wood last night so didn't get a chance.

EDIT: Ok, Pulled my clutch lever this morning and this is what the hole looks like on the aftermarket shorty ( Clutch side) lever I have.

129B5C6F-CFB3-44B8-8604-1867C48E0A7B.jpg

The stock bolt has a shoulder on it:

E8F84C08-B483-41E9-BD28-E06B82987E17.jpg

Edited by Force0321
Just because.