250 XCW, Where to tie tow strap?

I know where if you're being pulled,  but where on the bike is a good spot if you are towing.   I recently bought  a 16 250xcw.  Can't find a good spot.   Not like the old days when the frames wrapped around the back of fender. 

Carabiner through foot peg (attached to tow strap) has worked for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Carabiner through foot peg (attached to tow strap) has worked for me.

Agreed! 

Get the tow points as low as possible to keep the bikes from tipping over, forward or sideways, and to keep the tow bike from wheelieing, when pulling over obstacles. 

The towed bike needs to have the rope looped once over the front wheel axle and then straight up to the handlebar and looped once again on the left bar and held with your thumb. If anything goes wrong, the towed bike can break free by lifting his thumb. The bikes move staggered at a slight angle to keep the rope free of the wheel and bike. 

• Like 2

How do you loop the strap over the front axle? The last time I towed we did a loop around opposite foot peg and simply stood on it. Brake side tow bike, shifter side towed bike. Lift foot off peg and strap comes loose. Carabiner is good idea. I will put one in my kit tonight.

Never found a need for carabiners except for rappelling. Often found a need for rope. I keep it handy:

25464_371300870802_1038447_n.jpg?oh=b0d3

25464_371305010802_442244_n.jpg?oh=737c2

The spot to loop the rope over the axle is right here, or the other side:

27021_365641260802_8212834_n.jpg?oh=21ef

One loop and up to the handle bars, then one loop on the left side and hold with your thumb. Done it a lot. 

I have done the footpeg to footpeg hookup, it works well in good terrain, but the front axle works so much better, especially in rough terrain or mud. 

Edited by sbest
  • Like 1