2014 450sx starter not cranking the motor

Ok, I searched on couldn't come up with anything. Hopefully someone can help me out! I have a '14 KTM 450sxf. When I hit the starter button it whines but motor does not crank (see video). So I pulled the clutch cover and basket and cranked again so I could see if the torque reducer was slipping. It wasn't, but I saw the freewheel gear behind the water pump was spinning 

If I keep holding the button down it would eventually catch the crank and start. My question is, is the freewheel gear supposed to spin like that? Is there something else going on that I don't know about?

Edited by Marc Martinez

From what I know which isn't much. It should spin the other gear on the same shaft tell it starts. And then the original gear you have spinning, free spins while the bike is running. Looks like it's slipping to me. It happened to my 10 450xcw

• Like 1

Here''s what I've found out so far. There's a freewheel gear which spins with the starter that has a one way clutch type setup called the starter sprag. When the bike cranks the sprag locks up and turns the crank. Sounds like the sprag on my bike is not locking up for some reason. The problem is I have to remove the primary gear on the crank to get to the sprag. The primary gear uses an internal thread puller which I can't find anywhere. So I just ordered the service manual and hopefully it'll list the puller I need and I'll go from there.

Here''s what I've found out so far. There's a freewheel gear which spins with the starter that has a one way clutch type setup called the starter sprag. When the bike cranks the sprag locks up and turns the crank. Sounds like the sprag on my bike is not locking up for some reason. The problem is I have to remove the primary gear on the crank to get to the sprag. The primary gear uses an internal thread puller which I can't find anywhere. So I just ordered the service manual and hopefully it'll list the puller I need and I'll go from there.

In technical terms, ya what I said lol
  • Like 1