Fitment trouble: Oversize bar mounts with Trail Tech bracket

I am having some fitment trouble with my new parts I ordered in today. I am swapping the stock 7/8 bars for over-sized Pro Taper Contours. I ordered the Pro Taper universal mounts which fit up to the forks perfectly and work great with the bars. I also ordered a Trail Tech Vapor computer with a protective mount that bolts up to the top clamp of the bar mounts heres what they look like:

58f6b916bd005_41d3eMc2lL.jpg.7ac246ff5fb844c08289a82a8329b415.jpg

Here is the issue: The Pro Taper bar clamps install on the bike as two separate pieces causing the bolt pattern to be offset on the TOP clamp and just enough so my wonderful new Trail Tech mount will not bolt up. Some example pictures: (NOTE: bike is a DRZ400S, SM models utilize a a rubber mounting system)protapercontourmidatvbarsandrisers6.jpg.ad781cd87761ade9f71e9cfe736ee3df.jpg58f6b996810b0_download(1).jpg.f3e4c1a899a9d863390b61128e12e916.jpg

I have used risers in the past which is essentially just an aluminum spacer that bolts directly through to stock mounts with longer screws which keeps the stock bolt offset. I would like to find a pair that will bolt into stock 7/8 location and convert it to 1-1/8. Where do I find them??

tus_10_han_ris_kit_1_1-8_bar.jpg.ab00b79f86089fd959a89f5920143508.jpg

Edited by Methotic

11 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I know it's not a real solution for you, but this guy looks made a mount, and looks like he's using ProTaper risers.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:76310

Yeah I came across that in a search. Not a fan of the trail tech right over the clamps, I'm going for a OEM look. I ordered a variety of different mounts from Amazon today, they arrive tomorrow so hopefully I can get one to work. I ordered a bottom mounting bracket and what they call a "basic protective mount" which bolts up to where the stock gauge cluster is. I don't like how low and off center it mounts so maybe I'll have to fab something up that raises and moves it over a tad.

I think I'm going to just leave the stock dash cluster for now. The Trail Tech is becoming more of a head ache than anticipated. I have 17" Warp9 wheels with an oversized front rotor and trying to mount the speedo sensor is turning out to be a nightmare. Also the stock speedo does a better job of hiding the rat's nest they call a wiring harness that sits behind the headlight. I might even pick of one if those TTO temp sensors to get me by until I get around to fooling around with the Vapor setup. I'd rather just go ride and put the wrench down! :ride:

Edited by Methotic

On 4/21/2017 at 0:26 AM, bumtarder said:

Have you tried Highway Dirtbikes? They specialize in making custom mounts for the TrailTech amongst others.

I just checked them out all I have to say is... WOW! All my problems solved in one place! 1-1/8" bars really screws up the stock mounting for just about everything. I had to hack up my ignition mount and relocate it to a less convenient place since the top bar mount is different from stock. It looks as if you can get a top mount from HDB and customize it to your preference. LEDs, switches, key switch brackets, power sockets, trail tech brackets, etc. 

I'll give them a call on Monday and see if they can fab up a custom mount for me :thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Methotic said:

I just checked them out all I have to say is... WOW! All my problems solved in one place!

Highway Dirt Bikes are Great, I have there Hand Guards and Mirrors on my DRZ

• Like 1