Wheel bearings

Anyone else have any issues with wheel bearings on the RMZ? Specifically the rear. I have replaced mine several times since new and I have noticed that they all drag pretty badly. I have a set of ceramic bearings to go in but I don't want to ruin them if there is another issue going on. I have used the All Balls kit, the Pivot Works kit, and even the Moose kits, several of each. They have all had significant drag. Is this the norm for Suzuki or do I have another issue going on? Each time, everything was cleaned, greased, and torqued to spec when it was reassembled, as well as a new chain and sprocket so those are not an issue. 

I run tusk impact wheels and they have little drag. Fairly impressed with them outside of a few broken spokes. 

I have to admit I don't remember the stock ones being that bad either or, at least, not how you describe. 

Only had an issue with wheel bearings once. I ordered some OEM bearings because that is the recommendation I got on here. Never had the issue and bearings are still going strong a year and half later. All balls and moose are kind of cheesy in my opinion, but I'm surprised you had issues with the pivot works kit. I also can't think of any issues you may be having that would cause them to burn up.

I tried those bearings as a last resort because they were cheap. I don't even know for sure that it is the bearings. I've had good success with AllBalls and Pivot works in the past. I just really don't want to ruin a set of ceramic bearings which were pretty expensive if indeed there is something causing them to wear weirdly. 

I just installed a new set of pivot works bearings so I'm gonna take the brake pads out tomorrow and see how things go. I did this test before but that was with the Moose kit so they may have just not been very good. 

Are they greased 100%? That's the only Other than thing I can think of besides over torquing the axle or the bearings not being installed all the way, but I know you have a lot of experience, so I don't doubt you've covered all of these angles. The OEM bearings I got, barley had enough grease in them, so I filled them up just to be sure. I definitely wouldn't recommend running those ceramic bearings until you're certain there isn't a problem, they are pricey for sure!

• Like 1

Yep... I always pack them when I install. There is no binding or grinding that I can hear. 

I don't have a problem with any of my other bikes. 

Update... I swapped rear wheels, with the same All Balls bearings that were laying around and have very little drag. Is it possible that my hub is messed up and not allowing the bearings to seat right?  

• Like 2

I have a lot of drag with my 2013 rear wheel also, noticed it when the bike was new, but I`ve never had a problem.

Update... I swapped rear wheels, with the same All Balls bearings that were laying around and have very little drag. Is it possible that my hub is messed up and not allowing the bearings to seat right?  

While I can't rule anything out without it being in front of me, generally the rim would be seriously out of true if it was hit hard enough to cause damage to the hub itself. I would maybe check to see if there is any chunks taken out of the hub where the bearings are seated or even a tiny tiny rock, sand, hard grease, anything really. Just a 1mm-0.5 MM object in there would throw the whole rear wheel out of wack. Make sure the bearing seats aren't worn either( check for evidence of outside of bearings spinning inside hub) and check to make sure your axle is still in spec.

My axle is fine in the loaner wheel... I am using all the same parts off of my wheel. Including rotor, sprocket, chain, etc. So the only thing that changed was the hub and bearings. 

Just an update for those who care:

I ended up installing the ceramic bearings in the wheel after exhausting all other options I could think of. Low and behold, all of my issues are gone. Wheel spins freely (as freely as you could expect from a rear wheel). I did measure the bearings diameter and thickness with a set of calipers and the ceramic bearings are .056mm thinner in diameter and .012mm thinner in thickness than any of the other bearings I had on hand. I don't see that making a difference but whatever the issue was is gone with the new bearings. I also installed them in the front and spun the wheel (this was with the caliper off so there was zero brake pad interference), I ran inside and grabbed a beer and the wheel was still spinning when I got back to the shop (granted it was probably only about 30 secs), I was rather impressed. 

Edited by BDubb106