Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ250F Cylinder Head

So I just purchased a YZ250F.  Originally, I thought it was a 2008 model, but I just found out it is a 2006.  It is in need of a cylinder head due to dropping a valve.  I have found a 2008 head that I want to buy, but I would really like to verify before I pull the trigger that it will work.

can someone verify this for me?  the sooner the better.

I noticed that also.  However, in other threads, I see conflicting information that the 05-09 heads are interchangeable.  Just wondering if anyone has actually made the swap.

So yes, the head does work.  there are minor differences like the carb mount.  You will need the 2008 carb mounting for it to work on the earlier years.  Other than that, everything else bolts right up.

SO I now have the bike running and went on the first ride this past weekend.  It runs really strong, except for the idle issue.  It seems to have a really high idle, that I can adjust down, but then it tries to die, so I have to turn the idle back up.  I am sure that this is a carb issue and I am hoping that running a good tank of fuel through it, will solve the issue.  If not, I'll be learning how to go through a carb.

Next up is the fork seals.  My question on this, what oil?  Stock is S1, but I am a fairly big guy at about 290#, so should I go with a different weight oil?  I need to get this soon so any help is appreciated.