New to ktm's need help, hydraulic clutch

Hey guy's my brother got a 2014 ktm 65 and we are completely new to them. anyways, our issue we're having with the bike is the clutch works fine most of the time but every now and then it gets really hard to pull in and won't even go in all the way. Has anyone had this issue before? Does the clutch just need to be bled? Also when you pull the clutch in when it's like that you can hear air escaping so I checked for leaks and there is a slight air leak coming from the cover of the master cylinder but I wouldn't think that would affect anything. Any help would be appreciated

I'm thinking you should probably take the cover off and make sure the reservoir isn't more than 3/4 full. And check the rubber gasket for damage and correct installation.

Trailryder42 is certainly on to something. If it's overfill and can't move the fluid it could cause your problems, but it seems somewhat unlikely. If everything is working as it should, pulling the clutch lever should pressurize the fluid and transfer that force to your slave cylinder and push your clutch basket apart. You should never hear air escaping from the cover, so either the rubber gasket is not installed correctly or it's bad. But if the clutch won't pull in then something is stopping it from moving correctly, and probably all you can do is disassemble it and see what's binding. Can you recreate the problem easily? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to track down if you take it apart piece by piece and check the condition and function of the separate components. It would be helpful to have someone who knows the basics of motorcycle clutches there to help you, but if that's not possible then it's a learning opportunity! This is how you one day become known amongst your buddies as the "clutch guy"...

• Like 4