Bar risers / handlebar bends

So I am not overly tall ( 5'11" ), but I was out for my first ride of the season last week and I felt that I was leaning forward a lot. This in turn gave me some arm pump / fatigue / numbness in my forearms and hands. So I was wondering about bar risers, or different handlebars. I would really like to give the fasst co flexx bars a try, but at over $400, that is a huge investment. So I was thinking of trying bar risers first, to see if the added height would help out with my stance. Then, if the arm pump doesnt go away, I can at least tell Fasst Co what my current setup is and they can hook me up.

I guess my question is, do riders who arent enormous still use risers, and like them? What about rotating the bars forward, will this have a similar effect?

Last year was my first year back riding and I logged 75hrs. Usually ride once a week, more if I can.

I see a chiropractor regularily for my back. And I am actually going to see a RMT soon for my back and arm muscles. My muscles are extremely tight and I even have a few problems at work.

45 minutes ago, XRalways said:

Last year was my first year back riding and I logged 75hrs. Usually ride once a week, more if I can.

I see a chiropractor regularily for my back. And I am actually going to see a RMT soon for my back and arm muscles. My muscles are extremely tight and I even have a few problems at work.

First things first, get your body position dialed, support your weight with your feet, stay light on your hands. This will take some time and you might have to do some leg workouts to be able to supoort yourself for extended periods.

As far as bars and risers. It all depends on your goals for riding IMO. If you're just out there to cruise and you're not interested in learning the more advanced techniques to get thru technical/extreme stuff, just buy huge bars and huge risers and you'll be more comfortable standing up. Just know that if you decide to get into the more advanced techniques, you have an easier time with more standard bar heights and no risers. This is due to the body position the tall bars and risers put you in.  

• Like 2

When I am standing, i think I am on my toes most of the time, however, I have been trying to be more center over the pegs so I have better access to brake/shifter.

That is good advice SenorThumpy. I will try and work harder on my riding position. Maybe squat my butt down more in order to take that pressure off the arms. Thanms

• Like 2

21 hours ago, XRalways said:

When I am standing, i think I am on my toes most of the time, however, I have been trying to be more center over the pegs so I have better access to brake/shifter.

That is good advice SenorThumpy. I will try and work harder on my riding position. Maybe squat my butt down more in order to take that pressure off the arms. Thanms

You should be on the balls of your feet most of the time and shifting your feet forward to shift/brake. 

When standing you should be in attack position, elbows up, head over bars, ass sticking out, bent knees, hands light. Literally standing up is for taking a break, looking over the crest of a hill or whatever, you don't have any where near as much control over the bike standing straight up. 

Do you stretch at all? Being flexible helps you be dynamic on the bike. Consider doing some yoga or atleast a 10 min daily basic stretching routine, makes a big difference especially if you struggle with tight muscles.