FCR Hard to turn throttle?

I have a DRZ400E with the slant carb. My friend has a new DRZ400SM. His bike's throttle is about 10x easier to turn. I've heard this is normal because the FCR's spring on the throttle wheel is stiffer. Is this true?

-New Zeta quick turn throttle

-cables less than a year old and were lubed prior to install

-stock cable routing

-adjusted cables to have a 1/8-1/4inch of slack

The quick turn thrttle reduces the leverage to the throttle wheel making the throttle turn stiffer. In addition to that most carbs have 2 return springs as a safety devise. Sometimes you can remove 1 spring.  Does the Zeta use 1 cable  or 2?  Single cable throttles usually are easier to turn (less friction)  Some cable lubes get pretty sticky.  You might try flushing out the throttle cable and re-lubing.

11 minutes ago, Noble said:

The quick turn thrttle reduces the leverage to the throttle wheel making the throttle turn stiffer. In addition to that most carbs have 2 return springs as a safety devise. Sometimes you can remove 1 spring.  Does the Zeta use 1 cable  or 2?  Single cable throttles usually are easier to turn (less friction)  Some cable lubes get pretty sticky.  You might try flushing out the throttle cable and re-lubing.

Even with the stock tube it was pretty stiff. It's always felt the same, I thought new cables would help but only a little

Also, lube your cables if needed with some cable lube or motor oil, and coat the handlebar where the throttle tube sits with some moly grease. Couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I would check the slide wheels and make sure the lifting arm isn't binding. I don't remember the slant being much different than a brand-new MX. I had the factory throttle housing though.

Hmm when I put the slide in I didn't feel any binding. I checked for free movement.

Double check that everything moves freely first up but it could be the zeta tube.

I rigged up a custom single cable 1/4 turn throttle setup a while back for my e with slant. It was a heavy pull with only one cable.

While I liked it on the street and motard track, in the tight trails and dirt it was an absolute nightmare and wore my arm out quick smart. Reverted back to factory setup and just grip and rip it!

22 hours ago, 400eSM said:

Double check that everything moves freely first up but it could be the zeta tube.

I rigged up a custom single cable 1/4 turn throttle setup a while back for my e with slant. It was a heavy pull with only one cable.

While I liked it on the street and motard track, in the tight trails and dirt it was an absolute nightmare and wore my arm out quick smart. Reverted back to factory setup and just grip and rip it!

I didn't really notice a difference when I put the Zeta tube on