You can Google search for an owner's manual entering the year, make, and model of your bike (since it's a mystery here), and you'll get a pdf of the manual.

3 minutes ago, Graham3913 said:

I run mine a little loose. If i can get 3-4 fingers under the chain anywhere on the chain guard i call it good.

This ^^.  3 fingers mid chain on most modern full size bikes and you are good.

You can Google search for an owner's manual entering the year, make, and model of your bike (since it's a mystery here), and you'll get a pdf of the manual.

I know I just like to see what other people say

Are you guys using baby fingers or my neighbors giant sausage hands? you're talking a huge difference.

2" is within spec from the last fastener head holding my chain slide on. And I use a tape measure for that not fingers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo said:

Are you guys using baby fingers or my neighbors giant sausage hands? you're talking a huge difference.

2" is within spec from the last fastener head holding my chain slide on. And I use a tape measure for that not fingers.

That's a bit anal IMO.  I know 3 of my personal fingers is about right.

Throw a strap over the seat to the swing arm. Tighten it until the countershaft sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear sprocket are all in a line. This is the tightest the chain will get through the swing. As long as you have a little slack there, you're fine.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kalamazoo said:

That's why i said 3-4. My baby fingers til almost 4 fits, if you're Andre the giant, use 3. It's a chain, it doesnt have to be exact. As long as it's not too tight, and not too loose to chance coming off, you're good.

15 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

That's a bit anal IMO.  I know 3 of my personal fingers is about right.

Yamaha only gives about 1/2" tolerance.

25 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Well that explains it.

My bike has been listed in my signature line for 9 years :ride:

BRRAAAPPPP!

11 minutes ago, freeriders98 said:

On the stand or sitting on the ground?

I've had manuals call for one or the other. Both ways ends up being the same amount of slack in the end. Loose side of three fingers setting on the ground will do the trick. Always better to run them a little loose rather than a little tight. :thumbsup: 

42 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

I've had manuals call for one or the other. Both ways ends up being the same amount of slack in the end. Loose side of three fingers setting on the ground will do the trick. Always better to run them a little loose rather than a little tight. :thumbsup: 

:thumbsup: Too loose is far far better than a tiny bit too tight. I feel it is best to check it with the swingarm parallel to a smooth surface like spud posted. 

Find the tighest point then sit on bike have you're wife mate ajust so about 40mm slack it may seems loose but its good to go

Bike on the stand and measure right at the end of the top slider using #8 which I just measured and mine are 2-1/4 inches and I'm OK with that :)

W52_pasted_63.jpeg

Then IMO key thing is making sure you set the adjusters correctly and and anti-seize on the bolts every time I replace a rear tire.