Oil cooler

Thinking of putting an oil cooler on my bike. Is there an after market set up to do that or would I have to fabricate something up my self as far as hoses and fittings?

1992 xr600r bored out to 650

X2 on Marks oil cooler linked above. Great person to work with. My cooler has been perfect so far.

Sweet. Thanks. I've looked places and haven't seen this one before.

can make yer own. i used a trans cooler from a jeep strapped to the forks below the headlite. been there for a few yrs and really helps as long as your moving

• Like 1

IMG_2793.JPGIMG_0061.JPGI use Lockhardt coolers off of a Harley. Just cut the metal oil line to plug in. Hose clamp. Depending on how long the lined you use, you can mount it anywhere or use it as a necklace.
And dont go on ebay. Go to a junkyard and look. It might take you three junkyards to find it and you have to take it off, but youll get it for $25...

• Like 1

But the Sutton one is super clean and looks factory with minimum failure points.

100_0299_zps16f9fd8a.jpg

100_0298_zpse2a8d223.jpg

100_0300_zpsb757ab70.jpg

100_0301_zpsd10930f3.jpg

• Like 1

I have made them from automotive power steering pump coolers,  and added a spin on oil filter,  the xr600 was fairly easy compared to the older (79-80) xr500.   I am guessing for extended rides a "real one' is going to be much more effective.  If you decide to use one up behind the number plate,  the xr250 has a nice plate to use if you haven't looked at one.   

4 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Both on the same bike Joe? What is your max temp?

Same bike. 235*. I've got a bypass T-stat on the Sutton , then it goes thru the Lockhart. The T-stat bypasses until 185* and is fully flowing at 195*.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 5:27 AM, Go Big Red said:

From these pics what parts number are you missing. Not sure what the paddle is you are referring to. 

IMG_0136.PNG

IMG_0137.PNG

6 hours ago, baldy110 said:

But the Sutton one is super clean and looks factory with minimum failure points.

100_0299_zps16f9fd8a.jpg

100_0298_zpse2a8d223.jpg

100_0300_zpsb757ab70.jpg

100_0301_zpsd10930f3.jpg

looking at the supermoto set up on the "homemade" I think I like the homemade better for slideouts.   The fork, wheels, and the swingarm on that one make it so much cooler,  it wouldn't matter what the "radiator" was. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

IMG_2793.JPGIMG_0061.JPGI use Lockhardt coolers off of a Harley. Just cut the metal oil line to plug in. Hose clamp. Depending on how long the lined you use, you can mount it anywhere or use it as a necklace.
And dont go on ebay. Go to a junkyard and look. It might take you three junkyards to find it and you have to take it off, but youll get it for $25...

You have me coveting your swingarm and wheels.  now you need to go look at the comments by englert racing regarding reverse cone megaphone pipes,  and get with him or use his formula and build one.  

• Like 1

The concerns about the Sutton cooler getting banged up in a slide out are reasonable. I was concerned about the same thing. I have dumped my bike in the dirt enough times on the cooler side to stop worrying about it. If you have a skid plate, that pretty much protects the bottom of it and the engine case hangs out far enough to keep the side of the cooler from getting mashed. I suppose it could happen, but I have yet to smash up mine.

IMG_20150710_191937844_HDR(2).jpg

• Like 2

Same here, I rode mine all over Central America in 2015 including Baja.  I must have dumped that thing over 15 times in the deep sandy sections all on the oil cooler side.  I even had a crash on pavement in Guatemala at about 40 mph on the oil cooler side.  It was never damaged, it's tucked up in under the skid plate.

DSC00211_zpso2vicsne.jpg

DSC00228_zpso28ctfm7.jpg