CR250 best gearbox oil to use?

Recently got a 2002 CR250. Love it so far. What trans oil does everyone use/recommend? I've got Royal Purple fully synthetic syncromax in there so far. Works well. Says on the back of the bottle "Recommended for 4x4 and two-cycle motorcycle gearboxes". Will add a picture for proof.

Has other pluses like better shifting, wear protection, suits all friction materials etc. I know Honda gearboxes are really tolerant and I'm sure you can put cooking oil in there and it would work lol.

Other guys say rotella diesel oil or 10-40w motor oil like Castrol. Manual says 10-40w but doesn't say hondas trans oil.

Please drop ur opinions below

I run pro Honda 80w/85w. After changing previous owners gear oil it shifts a lot smoother, everyone is going to have different opinions but I stick with this stuff.

I run ATF type F. It stopped my bike from lurching really hard when I put it in gear and makes it shift smoother.

7 hours ago, Mr.mudman112 said:

Recently got a 2002 CR250. Love it so far. What trans oil does everyone use/recommend? I've got Royal Purple fully synthetic syncromax in there so far. Works well. Says on the back of the bottle "Recommended for 4x4 and two-cycle motorcycle gearboxes". Will add a picture for proof.

Has other pluses like better shifting, wear protection, suits all friction materials etc. I know Honda gearboxes are really tolerant and I'm sure you can put cooking oil in there and it would work lol.

Other guys say rotella diesel oil or 10-40w motor oil like Castrol. Manual says 10-40w but doesn't say hondas trans oil.

Please drop ur opinions below

PM sent

• Like 1

I've recently used both ATF Type F and 10w40 in my 2000 CR250R and see no real difference in shifting between the two. However, when cold the bike really snaps into gear with the 10w40. With the ATF it engages much, much, smoother with a nice subtle click. Once warm/hot both seem to work equally well. For me personally I'll use up the oil and then switch back to the ATF. 

• Like 1

I been using without problems rotella T6, is full synthetic and JASO MA certified. 

Anyone has any opinions or dislikes abou the T6? I am tryin to use the best for the bike

• Like 1

On 4/21/2017 at 8:57 AM, Motox367 said:

Rotella 15/40 :thumbsup: 

Same here, in all my bikes for the last 15 years.  Never had a single oil related issue.  I run Rekluses in all my bikes, and that's the oil they recommend as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RiderX said:

Same here, in all my bikes for the last 15 years.  Never had a single oil related issue.  I run Rekluses in all my bikes, and that's the oil they recommend as well.

Ya I use to run that Honda 80w stuff but had alot of tranny problems. Wonder now if it was to heavy.  Or probably just me lol. Run Rottela in both my twostrokes now but don't ride them as much.  Went fourstroke :ride: you'd think that Royal Purple would be the best tho with the price $$$$$. Gota be good they use it in racecar engines up here 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

Ya I use to run that Honda 80w stuff but had alot of tranny problems. Wonder now if it was to heavy.  Or probably just me lol. Run Rottela in both my twostrokes now but don't ride them as much.  Went fourstroke :ride: you'd think that Royal Purple would be the best tho with the price $$$$$. Gota be good they use it in racecar engines up here 

You need to do a little reading on oil weights. Knowledge is power.

6 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

You need to do a little reading on oil weights. Knowledge is power.

:thumbsup: