Trying to title a WR450 in SC

Has anyone had luck titling/registering a bike that the MCO states "For off-road use only" in SC? I did everything to make the bike legal, just am basically stonewalled at DMV. There's no way this is impossible (at least one would think.)

Maybe. I have a buddy with a 67 Camaro drag car that the title was lost / misplaced / original owner had died, etc. He had to of course fill out paperwork to do a VIN search, etc. The relavent part to you was a patrolman had to come look at the car. While he was there my buddy asked about a 2002 WR250F he had with no title. This particular guy was very easy to work with and said if he couldn't get a title he would just issue a new VIN # for the bike. I would get in touch with whomever does the actual inspection in your zone as you may have better luck with him / her than at the highway department. Good luck! Clay. 

Has anyone had luck titling/registering a bike that the MCO states "For off-road use only" in SC? I did everything to make the bike legal, just am basically stonewalled at DMV. There's no way this is impossible (at least one would think.)

I have been researching this and it seems like the method is to title it in South Dakota and get a SD plate, once you send in the information on bringing the bike up to dot specs they issue they new title with the off road use only removed. Then you should be able to transfer the SD title to SC andany get local plates an be title. I haven't done it yet but am getting my ducks in a row to do so!
  • Like 1

I have been researching this and it seems like the method is to title it in South Dakota and get a SD plate, once you send in the information on bringing the bike up to dot specs they issue they new title with the off road use only removed. Then you should be able to transfer the SD title to SC andany get local plates an be title. I haven't done it yet but am getting my ducks in a row to do so!

I'm sending the paperwork to them tomorrow. Will let you know web I get something back. Thanks for the help. Reading that thread gives me a lot of hope that it will work.

Sorry that this update has taken so long, but here’s the story. The SD path worked. Then, like a moron, I tried to switch it to SC and make it legit here. That worked...for three days. I got my plate on a Friday, they called me on Monday and said I had to surrender the plate. When I surrendered it, I asked for my SD title. They had sent it to Columbia and apparently the DMV doesn’t have stamps to send it back. Now I have a useless SC title that says off road only and a SD plate that I can’t use. To add insult to injury, they sent me a letter saying that I didn’t surrender the plate. I called them and was told that I needed to go back to the DMV and straighten it out. I said no thanks, they screwed up, not me and I’m not waiting in line for 20 minutes to say to another person what I just told them on the phone. Took the street legal crap off the bike and went back to the woods. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought a KTM or Husky. Their MSOs don’t say “Off Road Only” so the DMV will tag them even without inspection.

That's what I'm concerned about (getting pulled)... Makes me worried I just spent alot of $$ getting mine street legal for nothing