Help please! 96 yz250

Apologies now if I posted in the wrong area! Also I'm really new to the dirtbike group. So I recently bought a 96 yz250 rode it for a week, it wasn't running right to my knowledge. So I started to disassemble the bike get the top cylinder off and it's cracked. So I find a new(used) on eBay purchased it, got it to my house opened the box and the cylinder walls were gouged so I took it to the local shop to get it re sleeved and bored out to the new piston size. Not thinking to check the  is they are the same cylinders but find out today when I got it back it's not the same. With a little research it's a 91 cylinder. Found it's a "wr250"? Would that work on my 96 yz250? Exhaust is different and the internal piece(don't know the name of it) I'm stuck and don't know what to do. 

I have pictures but they won't upload at work.

The '96 YZ250 was a departure from the earlier bikes, especially in the cylinder. What's worse is Yamaha changed the cylinder in 1998 and again in 1999, so you are left with only '96 & '97 cylinders to source from -- and frankly, I'm not even sure about the '97.

The '91 WR cylinder has a different power valve arrangement, so I'm pretty sure it is out of the question.

I would start checking parts lists to verify what parts are common between your bike and others.

Sorry I'm not much help Jaacob, but hopefully more-knowledgeable members will chime in.

1996 Yamaha YZ125 and YZ250

1996 YZ 250 & 125

• Like 2

Thanks captdan! 

I'm already $470 in the hole so I was just wondering if the 91 WR would work on the 96 bottom end. I'm going to try and upload some pictures to help make it easier in deciding if it can work or not!

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

These pics are only uploading a few so bare with me

4jx is actually a 94 yz/94 -96 wr cylinder I believe .  it should bolt on. If you have the complete cylinder with powervalve and all to make a running engine I do believe a 93/94 yz pipe will fit the chassis enough to make it usable.       Things you need to confirm thru the internet to confirm my memory.  93 to 95 chassisis similar  ,93 /94   pipe similar,95-96 pipe similar       go to fmf or pro circuit  web sites to confirm pipe fitment. 94 silencer may have to be modified  to bolt onto sub frame but probably not needed

• Like 1

I am sorry to say  but if you are looking t having to buy a 100$ powervalve if you can find one  all miscellaneous   parts to make it work and then a 250$ pipe .  I would start thinking hard about what you need to do with the 96 cylinder to get the bike running.    A 94 cylinder is a popular sought after cylinder, but the time,aggravation  and money to make it work  may not be worth it.       

• Like 2

Good luck, Jaacob. The '96 YZ250 was not the fastest bike at the time, but they were solid, durable, and reliable. Aside from motor parts, it shares many bits with YZs up to 2001, and beyond. Also, if that cylinder ends up needing a liner, consider doing a 265cc big-bore. :ride:

And that '94 cylinder should sell fairly quickly on eBay. :thumbsup:

• Like 1