Am I Too Heavy??

Hi I just a real quick question am i too heavy?

Ive been noticing for a while now that i have to hit jumps harder and faster than my other moto buddys that weigh around 150 to 180 i weigh 225 so do you think its me weighing myself down or am i doing something wrong? I ride a 16 300 xc and my all buds have 450s. could it be my bike just not having the tourqe the 450 has to just lift you up anything?

Any Opinions Will Be Greatly Appriciated

Is your 300xc sprung for your weight?

If your suspension is too soft it soaks up the jump take off so you don't go as high and far.

I have that issue with my bikes, I'm 240 and like my suspension pretty soft as I ride really rocky, rooty areas more than I jump.

• Like 2

I'm not saying suspension is not a helper, if a local pro rider got on your bike can he do it on your bike, if the answer is yes you can too, don't get caught up on opinions! If I followed all opinions I'd have 20gs in a few thousand dollar dirt bike! Experience  means everything 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GJ Enduro said:

Hi I just a real quick question am i too heavy?

Ive been noticing for a while now that i have to hit jumps harder and faster than my other moto buddys that weigh around 150 to 180 i weigh 225 so do you think its me weighing myself down or am i doing something wrong? I ride a 16 300 xc and my all buds have 450s. could it be my bike just not having the tourqe the 450 has to just lift you up anything?

Any Opinions Will Be Greatly Appriciated

I don't think its the weight. At the track I frequent the most, there is a pretty big guy, way bigger than you, but rides a 450 and hits everything just as much as anyone else. That being said...

I'm fairly new at this (16 months of riding a dirt bike) but I ride a lot making up for lost time. Just switched from a 250 to a 450. On my 250 I had to be exiting the corners with speed, get on the throttle asap if I wanted to clear one of the up-hill step ups. Just for fun they have a table top between the uphill and the step-up. My issue is with out a doubt me. Being cautious, I'm not clearing (yet) the table top as its long and immediately after the corner. A ridding buddy says "grap a gear while in the air"; again a bit more skill than I have. Next time at the track with the 450 I was clearing the double-double that was giving me fits on the 250; best I could do prior on that one was case it.

If I was really skillful would I be just as able to do everything on my 250 - yes. Is the 450 helping me compensate for some of my lacking of skills - yes. Is it cheating - I use to think of it that way, now I don't care. Is it holding me back is developing skills (this I would really care about) - nope, it gives me more confidence and anyone who rides a dirt bike knows that helps. Does the 450 wear me out faster - yep, the muscles in my face that control smiling hurt like hell every time I get off the 450.

Me and a ridding buddy trade bikes occasionally. But now that I have a bike with a lot of HP, hits like a mo-fo from bottom to mid, and has plenty left at the top as well; and his has none of that = he only gets to ride mine for a couple laps before I wave him down to get mine back.

Maybe swap bikes for a few laps with one of your riding buddies.

I have no regrets moving to the 17 CRF450R. The 15 CRF250R is/was a really fun bike. I keep telling myself I need to take it out some time. It's the 450 that keeps ending up in the back of my pickup.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
  • Like 1

OK. Another story. I decided I was going to have a little MX mini-vacation over the Christmas holidays. Out of 13 days, I managed to ride 10 days - not bad considering the rains this year here in NorCal.

So one day at a sand track, a group people from Oregon (a couple families) was parked next to me. The older of the group finds out I'm in the Over the Hill Gang and we have a pretty good conversation. I was still on the 250 at the time but told him I keep thinking I needed more grunt. I was thinking about big bore for the 250, but a guy who builds race engines that I chat with at my local track said no, just get a 450 it will be more reliable. So the guy from Oregon is riding a new KTM 350. He said his family talked him into it and "it just pisses me off, get a 450". In other words, everything became harder for him.

38 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Folks from Oregon are just pissed off in general, surliness is our natural state.

Actually all the people I met from Oregon that week were nice. Understand that I'm comparing them to the norm for people here in the SF Bay Area - not hard to be an improvement over that! LoL

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 6'3", weigh 260 pounds and race mx. Suspension is EVERYTHING. At 225 you could likely get by with springs depending on what level you are/ want to ride at. When I started riding MX 4 years ago I thought the same thing "it must be my weight". I had trouble with everything on the track. I stuck a set of racetech springs on using their calculator and it was a world of difference. Went with a revalve and it took things to a another level. The bike has to be set up for you. You wont believe it until you have it done.