Is this oil suited for a DRZ?

When I bought my DRZ the previous owner gave me 2L of Castrol Magnatec C3 5W-40 and 3 oil filters.

I wanted to do an oil-change before I go on a one-week vacation with the DRZ next week, but when I looked into the oil it looks to be purely a car-oil. Could someone please verify whether this oil can be used? 

It's this oil below:https://www.micksgarage.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=4227553

• Like 1

Thanks for answering so quickly guys. I hope the oil in it isn't the same one as the Castrol oil he gave me. For now I'll use my racer until the oil has been changed. 

They don't sell Castrol Go! 4T over here in Holland, but I think Castrol Power RS 4T 10W-40 is pretty much the same, right? It's JASO MA2 as well.

• Like 1

Your bike should use API SF or SG. Contrary to home business based oil marketing 'experts', SL or SN does not have enough of some additives and may have too much of other undesirable additives.

With a break in additive, I wouldn't be afraid to run that oil, but if my starter began to slip, I'd drain it out and get something JASO, or SF or SG.

They do have Shell Rotella T over there, don't they?

Edited by Bermudacat

Thanks for answering so quickly guys. I hope the oil in it isn't the same one as the Castrol oil he gave me. For now I'll use my racer until the oil has been changed. 
They don't sell Castrol Go! 4T over here in Holland, but I think Castrol Power RS 4T 10W-40 is pretty much the same, right? It's JASO MA2 as well.

Yes, I've used that RS4T in all my bikes for years. Just recently switched to the Lucas semi synthetic.

6 hours ago, 30x26 said:

api sm and SN are backward compatible. api sg is a 20 years old standard.

here in europe motul 5100 is usually cheap, there is no reason to run obsolete products 

Try to understand what additives are indicated by API grade SF before calling a higher performance oil 'primitive'. As the OP indicated, JASO grades are also SF/SG. ?

18 hours ago, NL_DRZ400 said:

They don't seem to sell that one here either ?.

I did find Putoline DX4 10W-40 which is rated API SG & JASO MA so I'll purchase that one.

Ironic that you cannot find Shell Rotella T; I thought they were headquartered in the Netherlands. :excuseme:

Haha, I did a general search on Google, but I didn't find any Dutch sites selling it, only sites like amazon & homedepot. Also the sites I normally visit to order oil don't have it listed.

The only ones I could find (online) are:

• Shell Rimula
  • Shell Nautulus
  • Shell Advance
  • Shell Helix
  • Shell Spirax
  • Shell Tellus

But no Shell Rotella  :excuseme:

shell rotella is not available in europe.  maybe shell rimula is similar but it has no jaso specification.  if you want to buy a shell product you can find specific motorcycle shell advance  ultra , ax 7 , ax5.

from API site:

For automotive gasoline engines, the latest API Service Category includes the performance properties of each earlier category and can be used to service older engines where earlier category oils were recommended. 

SG Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.

sg is enough for our engine , however newer formulations are preferable.  

Edited by 30x26
  • Like 1

I just replaced my oil with the Putoline DX4 following the instructions in the FAQ step-by-step, but I am a bit worried about the amount of oil I got out of the frame and engine. It was only about 1.1 litre. 

Shouldn't have trusted the previous owner I guess.

Anyhow, from now on I am going to keep an eye on the level frequently and change it every 1000-1500miles. (I don't ride offroad) 

Edit: Oh, and it also didn't have the small O-ring behind the filter so I'll have to get that somewhere as well soon :/

Edited by NL_DRZ400

12 hours ago, 30x26 said:

shell rotella is not available in europe.  maybe shell rimula is similar but it has no jaso specification.  if you want to buy a shell product you can find specific motorcycle shell advance  ultra , ax 7 , ax5.

from API site:

For automotive gasoline engines, the latest API Service Category includes the performance properties of each earlier category and can be used to service older engines where earlier category oils were recommended. 

SG Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.

sg is enough for our engine , however newer formulations are preferable.  

Now that we have the Amway Oil salesman on board, how about you post your references? ?

2005 Suzuki Shop Manual recommends SF/SG. ?