XT225 Or CRF 230L

Hello,

Never ridden a dirt bike before, but thinking of getting into it. My Uncle has a chalet up north and right down the road there are all kinds of quad/enduro trails that go across Quebec. I don't have my motorcycle license and don't really plan on getting it because it is complicated and expensive here. I've contacted http://www.fqmhr.qc.ca/en/trails/ and everything seems to be cool with me being in the trails as long as I get their permit, stay off roads and my bike respects the regulations.

- one white head light;
- one red tail-light;
- one red stop light at the rear;
- one rear-view mirror firmly attached to the left side of the vehicle;
- an exhaust system;
- a braking system;
- a speedometer;
- the license plate firmly fix on the rear tail of the motorcycle;
- a civil liability insurance contract in an amount not less than 500 000$
- a valid driver’s license
- be at least 18 years and for the 16-17 years old hold a certificate of competence

I was thinking of the bikes in the title for 2 reasons:

1: I'm 5'7 and weigh 130 pounds and these bikes don't seem too scary because the seats are low and my feet can touch the ground

2: Don't have to spend too much money on my first bike

I walk those trails a lot in the summer and they can be pretty rocky and get steep at some points, so I'm a bit unsure on whether those 2 bikes can handle that type of terrain. I'm also curious as to what others here would recommend because technically I could just add tail lights, mirror, etc to another bike and make it legal for the trail.

Edited by tekcap

18 hours ago, NEODS said:

If you can make a bike legal then choose a CRF230F.

Why would you recommend doing this vs getting one of the bikes in the title? I notice the F has a higher seat height, could that be lowered?

Edited by tekcap

if your primary use (or sole use) is offroad riding, then you should be getting a bike that is off road oriented. dual sports sacrifice a little or a lot (usually closer to a lot) for the sake of road handling, that you simply don't need if you're never on the road. a 250 "dirt bike" is going to be a HECK of a lot lighter than a 250 dual sport (it's possible that the right 250 dirt bike will be lighter than a 230 dual sport). it's fairly easy to get light kits and such for a dirt bike...though no clue why off road/endure trails would require you to have a license plate and a license (which I would assume they actually mean motorcycle license not car license)

you can usually lower any bike on the market...just a matter of finding the right stuff to do it (usually just drop the forks and get a lowering link for the rear).

4 hours ago, tekcap said:

Why would you recommend doing this vs getting one of the bikes in the title? I notice the F has a higher seat height, could that be lowered?

A dirt bike (230F) like a 2 valve, 4 stroke, cable pull carb is simpler, less weight, less parts, cheaper., lowering links are available, parts from a 150 f will lower it. The 230 has a great following and great support from the 230 forum. I'm 5'7" 145 and find that the OEM height is perfect. My girlfriend is 5'4" and with a 150 link fits her well. they are both plated and for the riding that I do it performs well for my needs. for me it's that forever bike.

• Like 1

I have 2 230's one street legal and the other not.  I can run 55mph all day as the bullet proof proven engine will handle it.  Its very easy to work on and very reliable.  You can mod the hell out of this bike with suspension and engine parts and make it a absolute torque monster.  Visit the 230f forum and see what guys say about it.  Cant go wrong with it.  

IMG_0384.JPG

• Like 2