tire suggestions for KTM 300 xcw

I need replace my rear tire on my 2013 KTM 300 xcw.  Not impressed with the oem tire at all.  Would like some suggestions of what tire to go with to replace it.  I ride 99% trails.  

Thanks!!

Edited by DoJetpilot

I just picked up a Shinko 505 Cheater Tire for my 300. First ride will be last weekend in April. PM me and I'll let you know how I like it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 9:07 AM, Colorado^ said:

Maxxis desert IT, tubeless, works well in the rocks.

This is the best I've found, Moab 250 xc-w

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Kenda Parker DT is a better tire and cheaper. ;)

I have one of those sitting in my garage (+ the matching front) to try out this year.

Just now, Colorado^ said:

I have one of those sitting in my garage (+ the matching front) to try out this year.

Been running that tire for nearly 2 years.  Love it everywhere from the desert to the mountain trails.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TimothyKRichardson said:

Now I'm rocking these: 

Hey Tim. In the video, Jeff doesn't say whether he's running a tube or tubeless with the Shinko when he's running it at 5lbs. My guess is he's running tubeless. What are you running and what pressure?

I haven't made the switch to tubeless so I won't usually run less than 10lbs just to keep from getting a pinch flat.

Jeff and I both run TUBLISS with the Shinko 505. He runs a KTM 300, I have it on my Husqvarna TE300. The whole idea of TUBLISS is to eliminate any pinch flats: "TUbliss replaces conventional inner tubes with a small red 100 psi insert that creates two different pressure zones inside the tire itself. This enables an incredible 100 PSI of rim protection, increased tire stability and eliminates pinch flats. In turn, this allows you to run very low tire pressure for massive gains in traction and a much plusher ride."

I need suggestions for a good front tyre!

Pirelli MT-43 rear is my choice.   Great on the rocky trails.   I run 8psi with an HD tube.   They are also DOT.  This is a popular CO tire, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.

I get 2000 miles plus out of these.  Look at cost per mile, not just cost to buy.    Purchase price means nothing if the tire is shot in less than 500 miles, which most knobbies are for me.

They're not perfect everywhere but what tire is.  

On my 300 I ran a MotoZ Tractionator with a mousse. It did great in the woods of Virginia. I raced the VCHSS hare scrambles series with it. Since moving to MT and trading for a 350, I'm using a MotoZ desert tire with a Mefo mousse. I used that set-up for 1600+miles of Baja last year for the Malcolm Smith Baja ride and had no issues. The tire looked great. I feel like being able to run a lower "pressure" is great with the 300. With the torque of 300, I was able to tackle any technical stuff that I came across.

the shinko has a MASSIVE carcass. sidewall is very thick hence the lower pressures. 

IRC ve33/35 here, I was a Dunlop guy in the 90s that converted to Maxxis, and now IRC. 

If you like heavy tires and have the HP to move it I at one time owned a CR500 with these. 
http://www.intercotire.com/tire_brand/teraflex_motosteel 

Spoken like the guy that installs Shinkos.

I got about 100 mi on the shinko 505 cheater tire and pirelli mt16 front. Was out west at Rabbit Valley. Rear I started at 10psi, ended about 8. Excellent traction. Hesitant to go lower with a tube, but it hooked up well. The mt16 did very well also. No washing out in sand. Ran it at 12psi.

Just got a Sedona 907, going on this weekend.  Will be my first shot with it, hopefully it's as good as Slavens thinks it is... heh.