Fork Oil Level

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can not find it. My 06 leaked some fluid from one of the front forks. A friend cleaned dirt out of the seals and it has stopped. Is there a way to check the level of the fluid to see if it is too low without tearing the shocks apart? Thanks.

Unfortunately no.

IMO I rebuilt the forks on my 05 last fall and they hadn't been done since 05. The smell of the old fluid almost made me puke and putting in new fluid (and in my case I used slightly less cus I wanted them a bit softer) was WELL worth the process of rebuilding the forks and I'm now going to replace the fluid yearly.

Personally I used a Pivot Works kit (well worth the $$$) and Maxima fluid.

1 hour ago, tjne said:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can not find it. My 06 leaked some fluid from one of the front forks. A friend cleaned dirt out of the seals and it has stopped. Is there a way to check the level of the fluid to see if it is too low without tearing the shocks apart? Thanks.

There's a very easy way to take care of your problem: remove the fork from the bike, loosen the cap, slide down the outer tube a bit, dump the oil, replace with the correct amount of new oil, tighten cap, install fork onto bike, go for a ride.

• Like 2

Ya you are correct and its not tearing the forks apart but its still a bit of a process.

And its how I'm going to change my oil yearly :)

A tip - I used a BIG adjust wrench (or buy the corrected size wrench) to CAREFULLY loosen the cap slightly while the forks are still in the triple clamps and repeat.

Edited by filterx

All the oil will drain? Then replace it with the amount required by the manual?

18 hours ago, tjne said:

All the oil in the outer will drain and yes replace with required amount.

Replacing the oil in the inner cartridge (?) is what gets complicated.

IMO I still say that if you have not done your forks since 2006, do it all.

Here is a pretty good vid that I used for a full rebuild if this helps but also gives you an idea for just draining the outer oil.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 5:13 AM, tjne said:

Get yourself the Honda OEM service manual. Worth its weight in gold.

• Like 1

+1 on changing the oil altogether, it makes more of a difference than you think. Watch some youtube videos or read the manual and do it up.

• Like 2