1994 WR250Z Adding Headlight/Tail Light

Alright gurus, I need some help. I have a 1994 WR250Z 2 stroke that I absolutely love for trail riding. I want to ride a dual sport ride with some buddies in June that have a few short sections of road that I am going to need a headlight and tail/brake light for. Now I know my bike comes factory with a 45 watt stator. (I assume 45 watts at mid to high RPM's) So instead of spending $500 bucks on a Baja designs kit, what do I really need to buy for individual parts? I know there is a single wire to tap for the power. I assume from there I will need either a voltage regulator or a voltage regulator/rectifier. Which of the two do I need? Keep in mind, there is no battery. I want to run an LED tail/brake light and either halogen or LED headlight, depending on what my stator will support and the advice you guys give me. Definitely skilled enough to do it but noob when it comes to how much stator power I need for what products to run. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Ill get you some pics and help out when i get home. Got headlight on my 95 wr250z. Not the rest yet... Good luck finding a DoT LED headlight... Have a pretty good idea what tail light i would use but dont have one. Acerbis DOT headlight fits and looks good I think. Light output is crap but thats to be expected at 35 watts. Legal though. Acerbis makes a nice led tailight qith pmate holder that should fit decent. You'll likely need a righthand mirror, acerbis makes a good one, easy enough to add and remove as you see fit. Need a horn and button for it if you dont get a whole switch assembly. Also need the caps for your front and rear brake reservoirs to sense for brakelight. A general idea for how to wire it would be good to.

I have an 89 WR and would like to do this same setup as well and need the same info, so I will be following this thread closely. I don't need to be fully road legal. In Michigan you only need to have a Head/tail light to ride the roads under the ORV laws.

Thanks

I've got a dual sport kit on mine. It passed inspection with a tractor battery in the air box and then removed.

Unfortunately my "wiring harness" for lack of a better term is a mess now and I'm going to have to eventually redo it all. 

From what I understand you'd need to tap into the unused yellow wire coming off the stator and then into a voltage regulator. 

If you've got a headlight assembly already, getting a replacement LED bulb may be easier. That was my plan anyway. 

not sure if L.E.D.s work well with ac current.     the yellow wire will be  one leg of ac current.   the least amount of parts you could buy would be like a  98 wr400 headlight, an ac voltage regulator off a 98 wr400 , an UFO taillight/brake light rear fender extension liscence plate holder and a rear master cylinder banjo bolt/brake light switch  and some wire.  yellow wire to one leg of voltage regulator, other  leg of voltage wire split to low beam of headlight, tail light, and to one wire of brake light switch.  wire from brake light switch to brake light.  all grounds/commons  run back and ground to stator plate.   and hope you have enough electricity that the brake light will be effective when idling.

most dot reqcuirements  include horn, turn signals, high beam, back lit speedometer , high bean indicator and a battery so that the taillight can stay lit for 20 minutes . that way if you lose engine power while at night atleast you won't get run over till you get to the side of the road hopefully where it is safe

1 hour ago, jsantapau said:

not sure if L.E.D.s work well with ac current.     the yellow wire will be  one leg of ac current.   the least amount of parts you could buy would be like a  98 wr400 headlight, an ac voltage regulator off a 98 wr400 , an UFO taillight/brake light rear fender extension liscence plate holder and a rear master cylinder banjo bolt/brake light switch  and some wire.  yellow wire to one leg of voltage regulator, other  leg of voltage wire split to low beam of headlight, tail light, and to one wire of brake light switch.  wire from brake light switch to brake light.  all grounds/commons  run back and ground to stator plate.   and hope you have enough electricity that the brake light will be effective when idling.

most dot reqcuirements  include horn, turn signals, high beam, back lit speedometer , high bean indicator and a battery so that the taillight can stay lit for 20 minutes . that way if you lose engine power while at night atleast you won't get run over till you get to the side of the road hopefully where it is safe

I am not sure if the OP is trying to get street legal, but I am not. Under Michigan Law if you have a head light and a tail light (also current ORV tag) and you can drive on the side of the road if you stay under 25mph.