CRF150R for my wife, bigger rear sprocket?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. And just getting back into riding after a 12 year break. My question is about setting up my wife's bike for maximum enjoyment. We are in So Cal and plan to ride most hard pack in the desert. I got her a CRF150RB as she wanted something powerful but at a comfortable height. She (although she will not admit) appears to be somewhat intimidated by the power. I would like to go with a bigger rear sprocket to lessen to off-the-line power and give her more on the top end for when she is ready for a longer ride. Am I headed in the right direction with the bigger rear sprocket? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Any recommendations? I have the stock 15/56 sprockets currently. Do I go bigger on counter sprocket and drop the rear sprocket or do I change one or the other?

A good rule of thumb is that a 1 tooth change on the drive sprocket is equivalent to a 3 tooth change on the driven. I'd start by going up a tooth on the drive sprocket then fine tuning with the driven. 

I'm not very familiar with the crf 150r, but I know its considered a race bike. If a flywheel weight is available for it that may help tame it too. Double cylinder base gaskets to to decrease the compression just a bit is another trick that works well on some other bikes. 

Thank you all for the feedback. I will drop the rear sprocket by 2 and see how that works. 

I'm not sure what's available as far as heavy flywheels for a 150R 

but today got to ride my CRF250X for the first time this season since installing a 12oz heavier flywheel,

yes it does somewhat tame the throttle response but more importantly it makes the engine much more tractable 

thru tight/slick situations and prevents stalling.

Buy the heaviest FW you can find, not just a add-on weight.

Pricey but perhaps the time to look into a lighting stator as well if useful for your type of riding.

Also, try a flow-splitter like the FMF Snap. Makes the little engine respond way more smoothly off idle instead of the all-or-nothing sudden surge that make the little CRF so intimidating to some riders. After I did that I gave up my plan to go with a +9 oz Trail Tech flywheel (at least until I need the lighting coil). A Rekluse might help too.