Sign in to follow this  

Engine returns to idle slowly

Hey all,

I have replaced the mixture screw and cleaned the carb on a 2001 ttr225, and now it has some issues. When I checked the plug in doing some routine maintenance it was covered in a black soot like it was running rich. When I checked the float it was way off so I adjusted it into the manufacturers range. I also had to replace the mixture screw and so I started it out on the turns out on the manual. When I went to start it it wasn't running right and it is slow to return back to idle rpms if it is given a blip on the throttle. Any got any ideas why this is? I already lubed/ cleaned the throttle cable so it isn't sticking when released.

You have hanging idle.

This comes from one or more issues:

- air leak (fuel screw oring, slide, etc)

- mechainical (if the slide is dropping to the bottom, this isn't it)

- fuel screw adjustment procedure.

You do not set the fuel screw to the recommended setting unless you have calibrated the idle first.

Warm up the motor. Set the fuel screw at 1 turn out. Lower the idle as low as it will go. Not raise the idle using the FUEL SCREW turning out until it goes no higher.

If it is too high, lower it with the IDLE SCREW.

I figured that was the case, I just wanted to make sure. Well I have been frustrated trying to set the idle right because it was not working to save my life, so I tested the area for an air leak and seemed to have found one at the intake manifold. Do you think this is why? I have went ahead and ordered a new one to replace it with a new o ring and hopefully it will work better then. On a side note, how do you turn the fuel screw why the carb is running? I tried a ratcheting wrench with a screwdriver bit in it and only had marginal success

It is best to get an after market fuel screw that has a knob on it (and the knob is usually numbered). This will make the adjustment MUCH easier. Doing it with a stubby screwdriver is possible but can be very difficult - unless you don't mind minor burns.

The bike this is for did not seem to have that as an option, but I was wondering if that fuel screw is a quasi universal part. What I mean is for something like that on Motorsport.com you can't order it without entering in your machine, so it gets the right size, but a lot of parts on that website are only for the popular mx bikes, but it isn't an option for the less popular trail bikes. I assume that this fuel screw is the same as the one on another bike with the same carb, but is there any way to find out another bike that has the same carb?