Sign in to follow this  

Bike bogs after washing yz250

So I've had an on going problem with my bike that after washing it it will run. But bogs under throttle at idle. Starts up fine just bogs bad when you crack the throttle. I'm guessing water in a electrical connection because after a week or so it'll run fine. Just don't know what connections to check first any help is appreciated.

Check the air filter. It is not a good idea to fire your bike up after washing it, if the air filter is wet. The engine sucks water in and washes the oil off of the intake side of the piston.

• Like 1

Not the airfilter. It's a new one on it should have mentioned that. Always cover the airbox whenever washing and clean and like the filter while I'm at it

Oil *

It's funny you mention this.

Three days ago I washed mine. I am careful to try to not get water in airbox or exhaust. It was getting late and I rolled it in the shop. Fast forward to this afternoon. After some work around the house, I thought I would fire up the bike and just do a few laps around the yard.

For the first time since I have owned it, it did not start on the first kick. I kicked it several times, it would try to start but bogged every time. So, I finally used the choke and it started. Never had to use the choke before. Except for three times (dropped it twice, and ran it out of gas the other) it has started first kick without choke, and no bogging ever.

After it warmed up some, it ran fine. Just odd.

Oh, and with other washes, it started and ran fine.

Edited by dmrogers

Yeah mine starts fine still just bogs when you rev it. Happened the last couple times I've washed it. But it's doesn't go away once the bikes heated up so I'm thinking it's a cracked cdi or coil or something

16 minutes ago, Youngyz250 said:

Yeah mine starts fine still just bogs when you rev it. Happened the last couple times I've washed it. But it's doesn't go away once the bikes heated up so I'm thinking it's a cracked cdi or coil or something

So, it still bogs every time you start it?

After mine warmed up, it ran fine. I'll try starting it tomorrow and see what it does.

This is weird!

I had a steel frame yz that rubbed a bare spot on the wires coming from the stator back in the day. The first time it affected the bike was after I splashed through some puddles. I taped the wires and it ran good for one ride and did it again. I found burnt connectors up by the cdi that time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys gonna tear into it tomorrow. Supposed to be riding this weekend so hopefully it's an easy fix

• Like 1