Anyone use shorty levers or custom make their own?

I've read and looked at instructional videos about dirt bike riding and they all state to try to only use 1 or 2 fingers to modulate the clutch and front brake.  After seeing shorty levers being sold, I got to thinking, why not mark off the existing levers to exactly the length to fit your finger width, and cut them off.  Then round and smooth the end of the levers.  Now they are custom fit to your hands, and if you don't have handguards, there is less chance of them being broken.  Has anyone tried this?

Every dirt bike I've owned is exactly like that. After years of making a habit of riding with a finger on each lever it feels weird if I don't have one there, short levers make that habit easier for me to keep. 

• Like 2

I use one or two fingers to modulate the clutch while riding, bot i use all four when stopping or starting. I don't think I ever use more than two fingers on the brake though.

So, taking a relatively safe ball end lever (AMA required if you race), and make it into a dagger?  Good plan...

This guy got lucky, his lever still had the ball end and it only punctured about 3/4" deep.  With your method he could have got the whole lever in there!!

image.jpg

If you want short levers, buy short levers.  Leave the ball end on there, it's there for a reason.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 4

^^^^^^   THIS!!!  

At the very least if you shorten your stock lever the ball needs to be welded back onto the end for safety's sake.   :prof:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, poldies4 said:

So, taking a relatively safe ball end lever (AMA required if you race), and make it into a dagger?  Good plan...

This guy got lucky, his lever still had the ball end and it only punctured about 3/4" deep.  With your method he could have got the whole lever in there!!

image.jpg

If you want short levers, buy short levers.  Leave the ball end on there, it's there for a reason.

It's not a "plan" or a "method."  I just asked a question.  Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by Benski
rewording

27 minutes ago, Benski said:

It's not a "plan" or a "method."  I just asked a question.  With my full handguards with shields, I don't see that happening anyway.

You're right, Natural Selection bro.  Go for it.  

• Like 2

Now that the health and safety crew has had their say... 

I have shortened my levers exactly as you described. Just make sure to have a good wrap around set of bark busters and you are highly unlikely to have a problem.

i use fastway hand guards.

Edited by Bobatsea

8 hours ago, Benski said:

It's not a "plan" or a "method."  I just asked a question.  With my full handguards with shields, I don't see that happening anyway.

3 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

Now that the health and safety crew has had their say... 

I have shortened my levers exactly as you described. Just make sure to have a good wrap around set of bark busters and you are highly unlikely to have a problem.

i use fastway hand guards.

You do realize the ball on the lever is there to help keep your fingers on the lever right? 

When the bars are turned or the terrain is wicked and everything is wet that ball can be the difference between clearing a section of trail or crashing hard.

1 minute ago, wielywilly-g said:

I love the shorty levers, but I get good ones with the correct shape and ball. Zeta is the brand I use.

If you have a bike with a hydro clutch MME's shorty levers are the way to go.  The length is just right and the 50% reduction in clutch pull along with the improved modulation make them well worth the price they want.  They aren't cheap but they are very well made and the performance is outstanding.

post-297194-0-17003700-1432243006_thumb.jpgpost-297194-0-24941000-1432242807_thumb.jpgpost-297194-0-38798000-1431906260_thumb.jpgpost-297194-0-85343100-1431906232_thumb.jpgpost-297194-0-50613100-1431754047_thumb.jpg

FC1.jpg

• Like 1

I cut mine off and filed it down smooth. Havent had a problem yet. and i have bark busters. But to be honest i never really thought about what the ball end is for. Makes sense though to keep your finger on the lever. Might have to invest in me some good shorty levers now. :facepalm:

Edit: I did this with just my stock clutch because it was long as hell. I left my brake lever alone. Its pretty short to begin with.

Edited by Dconer1
  • Like 2

I used to cut my levers down when I ran aluminum bark busters on the KDX. On the KX, on a motocross track, without the bark busters, no way would I cut the balls off the levers. Now I just buy short ones.

Edited by The Spanky
  • Like 1

I got a good deal on a set of AGV shorties, so that's what I use on the YZ. Have had the MSR short levers before too which were also good, just not as fancy. I've found 2-3 fingers on the clutch will pull it all the way in with no problem, and one on the brake is plenty.

17 minutes ago, Monk said:

Shorten them with a hacksaw, smooth the end off and then wrap your own ball using a bit of duct tape, hockey tape or electrical tape.. 

Now there's a man!  I don't need no stinkin' ball!  I got balls!  In fact, I'm going to sharpen my levers thin just like daggers, because daggers are cool, and to hell with my handguards!  It's not me that needs to worry now, it's everyone around me!  Ahhaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaha!

veiny guy.jpg

Edited by Benski
too much coffee
  • Like 1

Now there's a man!  I don't need no stinkin' ball!  I got balls!  In fact, I'm going to sharpen my levers thin just like daggers, because daggers are cool, and to hell with my handguards!  It's not me that needs to worry now, it's everyone around me!  Ahhaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaha!
58f91b680f360_veinyguy.jpg.ce8e5d0cdf2bd677299de8e3bd5a2422.jpg

Oy vein!

1 hour ago, slomojo said:

Don't do it ! You will for sure catch your sack in it if you do. What kind of chest protector was the dude in the photo wearing? Bow Tie?

Dummy wasn't wearing it, "just going for an easy ride".  

He usually wears this one.

image.jpg