Rear wheel bearing cage destroyed and stuck

Trying to put new bearings in my sons yz85. The outer cage is deeply groved and appears stuck. I removed the snap ring but can't get any purchase with a punch. Any tricks to get this thing out? Thought about  Dremel?

Inside bearing puller.  You twist it, and it expands a collet to grab the bearing.  It's attached to a slide hammer.

Heat the hub with torch also.

Heat the hub, cool the outer race (can't think of the name of the product for cooling. It's a spray you get at the parts store). 

I have had to use a dremel with bearing races before. If you take your time and be careful, you should have good results.

I have also had to use a dremel. It takes a while and you will likely have to make 2 cuts but it works in the end.

Ever since, I replace as soon as there is any play.

So I welded the inner race to what was left of the outer race and hit it with a punch and big hammer. Out she came. 

• Like 2

Great follow-up 870. :thumbsup:

I have heard that welding a bead around the inside of a bearing's outer race will cause the entire race to contract as the bead cools -- then the race just falls out! Probably some vids on YouTube showing the process...

• Like 1