How do Betas handle in the desert?

Im going to be buying a new bike here in the coming months and Ive more or less narrowed down what Im getting to either a KTM 300 XC or a Beta 300 RR. I will be moving back to Arizona (Phoenix area) from Hawaii at the end of this year. I have never owned a Beta so I would like to know how well they perform in the desert from people with experience riding that terrain. Any info or opinions you would be willing to share would appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well nick burson won a championship on Beta last year.. In 09 Beta won Baja in the pro class.. but I'm thinking that most everything can be set up for whatever riding you do..

great racing here!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

The handling is similar to a the first generation Alloy YZ line 2006-2008, only far more compliant (flexes just right).

Also similar to the late 90's CR250R Hondas. 

Very neutral, but not vauge, and it does not require tons of body english like the KTM's. 

• Like 2

That Glen Helen mx was great. Interesting that those Yammie guys appeared to lose the front end at the entrance of the corner which goes along with all the reports of 'turn in" issues. Was the Beta a 300, anyone know?

6 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

That Glen Helen mx was great. Interesting that those Yammie guys appeared to lose the front end at the entrance of the corner which goes along with all the reports of 'turn in" issues. Was the Beta a 300, anyone know?

Yea I think it's on the  Youtube description somewhere.. 300. It is a cool vid.. and He is a great rider.. nice to see a 300 racing against 450's on really a pretty fast track..and with some big hills... If he was going that fast on a 250 that would be even more interesting.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

6 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

This was a 250 (he ran the 450 class) Still had stock suspension on it at that time. Mix of 250's and 450's on the line. Video doesn't due justice how steep the hills are, especially the down hill!

You found an old one there hawaiidirtrider of Ty on the white 300. That was right after the 2013 dealer meeting when the 2 strokes where just introduced. He had just turned 14 and still working towards making his first amateur EX main event. 

On topic, a Beta handles great in the desert! Just need the suspension setup for it. Since your moving to the Phoenix area I would hit Stillwell up for that?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ccullins said:

This was a 250 (he ran the 450 class) Still had stock suspension on it at that time. Mix of 250's and 450's on the line. Video doesn't due justice how steep the hills are, especially the down hill!

You found an old one there hawaiidirtrider of Ty on the white 300. That was right after the 2013 dealer meeting when the 2 strokes where just introduced. He had just turned 14 and still working towards making his first amateur EX main event. 

On topic, a Beta handles great in the desert! Just need the suspension setup for it. Since your moving to the Phoenix area I would hit Stillwell up for that?

Awesome!!Thanks for sharing!!! It's great to get true verification!! and it's even more interesting. I have an FIM vid of MX racing in the interim of the class mix in 2003 where euro top pros then were racing 250 2t and 450 4t in the same class then. This vid sort of reminds me of that vid. This one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MX-World-Championship-2003-UNLIMITED-SHIPPING-ONLY-5-/112323033853?hash=item1a26f97afd:m:mY5Bw7QUP-C0zsYS5YkFmOg

!!eBsBtQEGM~$(KGrHqR,!jQE0D2IM1QdBNQ1TOB

My personal experience:

I am not a desert rider, have only ridden down there a few times, and I go kinda slow (in the dez) as I constantly feel as if I;m gonna wash out especially at speeds above 40. Last time I was there one of the guys I was riding with was intrigued with my Beta (2013 300rr) and asked if we could swap bikes for a few miles - he was on a late model YZ450. I said sure. After 10 or so miles we swapped back and he could not say enough good things about how well it performed. He is an awesome desert rider and had my bike well over 70 mph at one point. The area that we were riding was near the Husky Monument.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

My personal experience:

I am not a desert rider, have only ridden down there a few times, and I go kinda slow (in the dez) as I constantly feel as if I;m gonna wash out especially at speeds above 40. Last time I was there one of the guys I was riding with was intrigued with my Beta (2013 300rr) and asked if we could swap bikes for a few miles - he was on a late model YZ450. I said sure. After 10 or so miles we swapped back and he could not say enough good things about how well it performed. He is an awesome desert rider and had my bike well over 70 mph at one point. The area that we were riding was near the Husky Monument.

....and the sand on the way to the Husky Monument is monumentally deep and soft.  It sucks. It's like bottomless fine kittylitter...

The BETA's have a light front end, so you really have to change your riding technique when in soft sand.

A steering damper set at 8 out or less, a Golden Tyre 2166AA front tire, and properly set race sag, constant throttle; use the rear brake and/or clutch to slow down (not the throttle), and never shut off on the power....and you can go 100......if you don't care about your eyes being able to focus....

• Like 2