got a DRZ400E! Suggestions on what mods please!

Hey guys, loving this forum, Ive been reading alot and created an account today! I got myself a pretty much sock 2010 DRZ400E, Im in the middle of converting it to a motard (using CBR250R wheels) so i can easily swap between road and dirt. I would love any suggestions from you guys on what i can do it my bike to make it look, sound and run better. I dont have the largest budget, but i really want to get into doing things myself, i have quite a few tools through work already, but i am very pretty amateur in the world of bikes. I was thinking of getting a Yoshi pipe (i like deep sounding bikes), new plastics, some stickers, bling kit and might spray paint my new wheels gold (myself properly).  I think i want my bike primarily black and gold. No idea in the way of power mods yet. What would you guys to do this bike? and where can i buy the materials cheap and easily?

mydrz.jpg

mydrz2.jpg

Bike has FCR and E cams already no?  If so I would just do the 3x3, exhaust, rejet.  Those cbr250 wheels look sweet on the DRZ.  We don't have those widely available here in the US.  The Scott's damper mentioned is a really nice upgrade too.  

• Like 2

On 4/20/2017 at 6:54 AM, sbmon said:

Bike has FCR and E cams already no?  If so I would just do the 3x3, exhaust , rejet. 

Me too.

Headwork is a waste of $$$ on engines under 455cc's, unless you really need it for racing.

• Like 1

What works on pavement rarely suits dirt as well. 

Supermotard requires stiffer suspension' settings, powerful brakes (larger rotor plus pump & caliper) and the mandatory 17" wheels...if you are on a budget you could start with a set of used DRS SM wheel laced to 310 (oem) and 220 mm (from your E rear wheel) brake rotors (your E model spacers will fit perfectly).  I will not go with CBR wheels unless you'll use the bike only on very good paved roads...

Then you may scout craiglists or ebay to find a good Beringer o Braking dedicated front brake assembly or look for for some Brembo gold series from a scrapped streetbike. Older Ducati Monsters have been good organ donors for this kind of conversion...If you choose to go this way you'll need a custom machined braket to let the caliper bolt on the DRZ's fork mount matching and be aligned to the brake rotor. Otherwise you may go the cheaper way and retain the OEM front brake assy and just fabricare or buy the special braket required to go with the bigger rotor.

Final gearing should reflect your riding needs and the courses or roads you will ride on most likely...

My advice is to start spend your money on suspensions and brakes...leave the engine stock and with the saved money buy good tyres and change them when they need it to be!

• Like 2