Lennie

different rear shock to fit beta

I have heard rumors about people fitting different rear shocks into beta's from crf, kxf etc.

Im having trouble with my sachs shock and cant get the parts so need a solution, I don't really want to spend 1000+ on an aftermarket shock. My rear shock is broken and the parts are unavailable, I have no option but to buy a new shock.

Any ideas please?

Edited by Lennie

What broke?  I'm almost certain the Showa piston fits.  The only show stopper would be the body being damaged. 

Just to expand on the above the failure is not the fault of beta it was caused by a failed aftermarket part. Nothing to do with parts made by beta.

Here's the problem.

IMG-20170411-WA0001_zps8e5vxq3g.jpeg

Shock linkage too tight, not torqued to spec? That would put it in a bind and not let the clevis rotate in the linkage while being compressed.

Bent shaft.  Is clevis damaged? Either buy a used shock for parts, or measure and match up a shaft from a Showa or KYB.  Route depends on your suspension experience but that can be fixed.  Contact "motoxgiant" here first, he is a Beta dealer/suspension tuner and might have something.  He ships worldwide.  While your at it, add 4mm to the shock shaft length, you will like it.

What exactly happened, I'm curious? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GP said:

While your at it, add 4mm to the shock shaft length, you will like it.

Yes do this. It's a must do mod!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Damage was caused when the Linkage guard snapped. Unfortunately the thread in the clevis is damaged so it's the shaft and clevis I need.

Edited by Lennie

16 hours ago, GP said:

While your at it, add 4mm to the shock shaft length, you will like it.

Interesting, can you tell us more about this mod.

Honda CR shocks will work, but they require some finessing to fit. Clevis opening needs to be milled out 5mm to fit over the beta linkage, and you'll have to do a little filing to the shock body at the top mount in order for it to fit into the upper mount on the frame.

I actually did make one work about 2 months ago, with a shock from a cr250, that was in bad need of a rebuild. I had buggered up my clevis on my Fox Podium RC3, and was worried that the shock wouldn't make it back in time for the start of my XC racing season. So in conclusion a CR shock will fit, but it does take some effort

Edited by Doogster85
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2017 at 11:16 AM, Krannie McKranface said:

The shaft can probably be straightened too.

Take it to a machine shop (dissassembled) and have them block it back to true using a latch and wood blocks.

They bend very easily

I would just shove it in a press and bent it back. 

13 hours ago, Lennie said:

Thanks for the info. Damage was caused when the Linkage guard snapped. Unfortunately the thread in the clevis is damaged so it's the shaft and clevis I need.

Drill the clevis and install a Time Sert or Helicoil.

Just now, Krannie McKranface said:

Seriously, it actually works. The shafts are very soft.

Yep, I had the same thing happen to my XR600. I just put it in a vice and bent it back. My bend was due to the bottom snapping.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:48 AM, needforspeed78 said:

I'm not sure of the specific's of who can do the work and where the parts are sourced, but the concept is to raise the rear by shaft length rather than changing the spring rate/sag setting or changing out the linkage parts. This allows the opportunity for more compliant small bump setup since the need to crank down the spring or go up in rate is reduced in an effort to turn the lazy steering Beta trail ride setup to a more aggressive corner carver for racing. Chassis balance moved forward in a nutshell. I'm sure GP and Hammer can provide more details since they have actually done it/ developed it.

This thread so far has been about sourcing a replacement due to damage, not modifying handling, although several people have pursued a replacement shock with a longer length to accomplish the same thing without a rebuild. I was hoping some of that would surface in this thread as well. Since Beta runs a bit less travel than other makes it appears this may represent a way to accomplish more travel as well? With the '17's forks now having 5mm more travel the chassis balance may be a bit different than previous year models.

This is fine tuning for race setup stuff and is not a concern for most riders.

Edited by Johnny Depp

On 4/21/2017 at 5:48 AM, needforspeed78 said:

I will let Glenn respond with a parts list and how to since he was the evil genius that figured it out. If you are a woods guy that feels the front end of the Beta is lacking hard cornering bite or just want to get your toes up a bit higher this is the answer. It is super easy to do and only requires a few dollars in parts.