1996 WR250Z filing the power valve?

Noticed some people made mention on filing the power valve in these and the 1993 YZ250 as the aluminum seats can wear and the PV can catch on a ring and cause issues. 

Just yanked my top end and things are definitely not flush. So how do I fix this? Remove the PV, and just file the "lip" off so it can't catch or do I need to file more and make it flush, or what?

Thanks. 

20170419_191008.jpg

I had the same problem when i first bought my bike. What I did to fix the problem was weld some aluminum back on to the stops, and then filed down the stops to where it worked correctly.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dconklin5421 said:

I had the same problem when i first bought my bike. What I did to fix the problem was weld some aluminum back on to the stops, and then filed down the stops to where it worked correctly.   

that would be the best way to get full function of the powervalve  most people only file off the the lip that extends into the piston  but you will lose effectiveness

I know where to weld it. I believe my arc welder can weld aluminum, but I've never done it. I'm bad enough welding steel. :) My dad however is a machinist, if new parts could be made easily enough. I haven't had the PV apart so I don't know exactly how it works and what pieces are wearing yet.. How much power loss are we talking here? Something super noticeable just by filing that lip? 

Whoops. Sorry guys, I just checked my old post and yeah, i realized I had a fatal flaw typo in it. I DON'T know where to weld it. I have a buddy who can weld aluminum, but have no idea where to add material. Any help would be appreciated. Took it apart to clean last night, it can spin freely all the way around while disconnected from the linkage. Not sure if thats normal or not. I may have just had it turned some when I removed the cylinder if so. Not sure how to check for wear. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No need to weld just drill and tap a small hole in the PV and cover at the stops where they are worn, then thread in a small allen head screw in and loctight in position. Line up the PV and cover to ensure the screw heads align, grind down the screw heads to the correct height so the PV is in the correct position.
Never have to worry about this again, a mates idea not mineIMG_0155.JPG

• Like 2