Xr650l high compression piston and hot cam questions

I have a 2008 xr650l that I have to rebuild the top end, and I'm wondering while I have it broken down, should I put a high comp piston and  and a hot cam setup in it? It has the stock unmodded carb, full fmf exhaust, aftermarket air filter and the smog pump has been removed. My question is, is it a good idea? If I do it, do I need to upgrade the carb, valves, and valve springs? What about heat, and would I still be able to use pump gas? Just wondering if it's worth it, or should I just leave it stock? Thanks for any and all advice/comments  

I can't say anything about the cam, because I have a stock cam, but the 10.5:1 675cc piston in my bike added power everywhere and improved the fuel economy significantly as well.  I have back to back dyno runs around someplace showing a stock 2001 XR650L with similar pipe, airbox and carburetor mods compared to my 2001 with the added high compression piston and mine has about 5 more horsepower everywhere.

Before the piston change I was lucky to get 35 mpg while now I get 40-45 mpg.  My bike pulls strongly and smoothly from low engine speeds as well.  You might not get that with a cam change.

The only drawback is that it seems to be a little bit harder on the starter motor.  A weak battery will be an issue with the higher compression.  I have a reasonably new Yuasa AGM battery in there and recently installed a rebuild kit in my starter, after the brushes wore down too far.  No problems anymore starting the thing.

I've got an 11.25 JE piston and a HotCam. No problems running 93 pump gas or with the starter.

• Like 1

I have a brand new Hot Cam if you want to buy it. $100.00 plus shipping which should be about $6.00

Time for a new piston, lotsa miles on this one.  As such, thinking about going your route Joe.  What is your experience with the upgrade to 11.25, Hotcam and carb as far as overall performance.  Any reservations or regrets?  Did you upgrade any other engine components to make this combination work properly?

Time for a new piston, lotsa miles on this one.  As such, thinking about going your route Joe.  What is your experience with the upgrade to 11.25, Hotcam and carb as far as overall performance.  Any reservations or regrets?  Did you upgrade any other engine components to make this combination work properly?

The cam gives you a little more rev and power.   The piston and cam were in for some time  , nothing else is really needed except for an exhaust. The TM40 added throttle response and midrange torque. An Ignitech programmable CDI is a nice addition too.