What Happen to Yamaha?

Is it just me, or do you guys see what i see. Please tell me, Yamaha didn't make this.  I found this old school Yamaha by accident. It looks so bad, I'd sale my wife for it. Plus I'd give up my 230f and 10 more. I knew most of Honda's old school bikes...but i never knew Yamaha was so freaking bad! Yamaha had the eye of the tiger, the same eye Honda has always had. What I'm saying is, Honda always seems to manage to keep their bikes looking like a tool, so they never look old when they're actually old. Yamaha has a pretty boy way of doing things that only last for a season, then it looks like crap! This old school Yamaha looks like something Honda would do.

I've never liked Yamaha until saw this thing...what ever it is?

dec8bd30.jpg

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 5

@ mikerbike So you're saying i can't find one for sale? If so, I'm pissed! This thing would look so cool in my den. 

Edited by The Plvis

36 minutes ago, stevethe said:

You guys are getting close. 

IMG_3136.JPG

My riding buddy recently picked up one of these used, a 2016 and got the gas tank from Aus. for six bills.  Still, I think fuel range is going to be a problem where we ride in Baja.  I couldn't find gas for 240 miles one time and it was out of a rusty jeep can.

47 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

My riding buddy recently picked up one of these used, a 2016 and got the gas tank from Aus. for six bills.  Still, I think fuel range is going to be a problem where we ride in Baja.  I couldn't find gas for 240 miles one time and it was out of a rusty jeep can.

Yea that's a Acerbis 2.9 gal yz450 tank I fitted to the WR. I'm not sure of the range but the fuel injected bikes aren't bad. When we do crazy forever long Piute Mountain rides we carry an extra gallon and ditch it in the bushes for the return trip. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Yea that's a Acerbis 2.9 gal yz450 tank I fitted to the WR. I'm not sure of the range but the fuel injected bikes aren't bad. When we do crazy forever long Piute Mountain rides we carry an extra gallon and ditch it in the bushes for the return trip. 

I was wrong.  He paid 450 made in NZ, and it's 4 gallons. He got 157 miles cruising on the highway before it ran out.  Then poured fuel out of primus bottles. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

No disrespect but the Yamaha's frame looks cheesey. The frame looks like an egg with a hole cut out of it for an engine. Yamaha has a soft way of doing things. Suzuki, everything they make has a stupid look, and poor modern Yamaha's usually never scream I'm a tool. What would you expect coming a musical instrument company. 

Edited by The Plvis

3 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

No disrespect but the Yamaha 's frame looks cheesey. The frame looks like an egg with a hole cut out of it for an engine. Yamaha has a soft way of doing things, everything Suzuki make has a stupid look, and poor modern Yamaha's usually never scream I'm a tool. What would you expect coming a musical instrument company. 

It sounds good to me. 

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Plvis said:

Is it just me, or do you guys see what i see. Please tell me, Yamaha didn't make this.  I found this old school Yamaha by accident. It looks so bad, I'd sale my wife for it. Plus I'd give up my 230f and 10 more. I knew most of Honda 's old school bikes...but i never knew Yamaha was so freaking bad! Yamaha had the eye of the tiger, the same eye Honda has always had. What I'm saying is, Honda always seems to manage to keep their bikes looking like a tool, so they never look old when they're actually old. Yamaha has a pretty boy way of doing things that only last for a season, then it looks like crap! This old school Yamaha looks like something Honda would do.

dec8bd30.jpg

Yamaha was my first Bike ,, this 1 is Kool ,, but the Yamaha 1st "Mono Shock" was the end for them !! Send "All" your "CRF230's" to me in the Philippines please !!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Plvis said:

No disrespect but the Yamaha 's frame looks cheesey. The frame looks like an egg with a hole cut out of it for an engine. Yamaha has a soft way of doing things. Suzuki , everything they make has a stupid look, and poor modern Yamaha's usually never scream I'm a tool. What would you expect coming a musical instrument company. 

The only good looking Ktm's are red bull replica models like the ktm Tony cairoli replica (that i had but it cost me a fortune). Now, if you don't like egg shapes? but like riding steel framed bikes other than 80's and 90's bikes... my suggestion would be the Gas gas 300, 4 stroke of 2014, because it had the Yamaha engine with a 290 kit fitted. At least that way, you get a euro bike with a reliable engine, sad but true.  

The new Ktm's look ok... But rather boring really, what after market decals can you put on a bike that has black embedded "rough texture" on the plastics... That must be awesome to clean dirt from that hippo skin look, Ktm haven't really changed all that much... in the last three years, the same eagle beak front fender, slight changes in grab handle around the rear & more major changes behind the rear wheel (one piece plastics and expensive parts that no after market supplier can be bothered keeping up with). Maybe a few changes in color on the shrouds, radiator shroud shape changes slightly. Otherwise the plastics between your legs are still wider than the seat. Great for smashing your knees up, unless you ride with braces or goal defense leg padding. The new Ktm looks smart, but they haven't broken the silence with the changes the blue crew have recently.

Each to their own but KTM are probably better off focusing on catching up with their recalls rather than making pretty looking bikes from now because Yamaha have matched them on the technology, bettered them with weight balancing & changed their bikes to look completely new with these recent upgrades.  

Yamaha have flipped their engine around and have remarkable changes to body/plastics and cosmetics over the last decade. I'd ride the WR above over any Pumpkin ;-).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scrammer said:

Yamaha was my first Bike ,, this 1 is Kool ,, but the Yamaha 1st "Mono Shock" was the end for them !! Send "All" your "CRF230's" to me in the Philippines please !!

I don't recall where i first saw it, but Yamaha wasn't the first "Mono Shock." Maybe they were the first Japanese company to produce the mono shock. Yamaha always made the first move on new technology but it was Honda that would come behind them to correct Yamaha's mistakes. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Plvis said:

Is it just me, or do you guys see what i see. Please tell me, Yamaha didn't make this.  I found this old school Yamaha by accident. It looks so bad, I'd sale my wife for it. Plus I'd give up my 230f and 10 more. I knew most of Honda 's old school bikes...but i never knew Yamaha was so freaking bad! Yamaha had the eye of the tiger, the same eye Honda has always had. What I'm saying is, Honda always seems to manage to keep their bikes looking like a tool, so they never look old when they're actually old. Yamaha has a pretty boy way of doing things that only last for a season, then it looks like crap! This old school Yamaha looks like something Honda would do.

dec8bd30.jpg

"Sale my. wife." :lol:

Anyway, I always carried a minimum half gallon extra of gas in a Gatorade bottles when I was going on extended rides and tried for a spare gallon when riding in Mexico.