Jumping

So I've been riding for some time, but just recently (about a year ago) I have gotten into jumping. I don't get to ride a lot, mostly once every two weeks, and even then it's on trails so the chances of getting some jumping practice is like once in a blue moon. I ride a 2000 KX 250. Although I haven't jumped a ton, I have had enough of a chance to discover I might be doing something wrong. My main problem here is hitting a tabletop/double out of a corner and I mean literally out of a corner or going up to a jump (at a standstill) that only has a 10 foot stretch of dirt right before the jump face. I've experimented with being in multiple gears, but in order for me to get good speed to clear it I have to be in first and even then I don't get far enough. Ex. So like if I have a really tight corner and need to shift to first, ride the corner, bottom of the jump face is 3-4 feet from the exit of the corner and jump face is about 5-6 feet long and 4-5 feet high, shift to second to get speed, engine bogs and I land midway on the table. I've tried feathering the clutch in second but once I let go the engine bogs and it takes some time to build up the speed (like what we all know what happens when you shift up way too early). I know I'm doing something wrong and please no negative criticism since I'm only trying to correct my problem and ride better. Thanks!

If your KX250 is bogging something is wrong with the bike. You should be able to carry second around the corner on a 250 2-stroke. Work on turns, then work on jumps.

I can carry second but if it's a real tight turn I have to slow down to basically first even though I'm in second with clutch feathered. Maybe I'm slamming the throttle open and clutch out too quick? My bike runs perfect so I know it's not that, just me.
  • Like 1

If you're on a track (not someones back yard track - and I assume you are since you mentioned tabletops and doubles) you really shouldn't need 1st gear on a 250 2-stroke - and KX's have great bottom end. Do you practice starts in 2nd? Even on the tightest of tracks I won't get below 2nd on a 250 2-stroke unless I have to get going from a dead stop. I would suggest you work on getting through turns better, the jumps will come easy then.

• Like 2

If you're on a track (not someones back yard track - and I assume you are since you mentioned tabletops and doubles) you really shouldn't need 1st gear on a 250 2-stroke - and KX's have great bottom end. Do you practice starts in 2nd? Even on the tightest of tracks I won't get below 2nd on a 250 2-stroke unless I have to get going from a dead stop. I would suggest you work on getting through turns better, the jumps will come easy then.

I've never practiced starts but I do ride some pretty technical trails where I need to be in second from a stand still but I'll definitely have to practice that

One thing you can try, its addressed in one of the Gary Semics DVDs, when exiting the turn, blip the clutch quickly to get the engine RPMs up. It will give you more power to the ground faster than letting the engine rev up. I just recently started doing that, and it has helped in a few situations. Another thing you can learn is seat bouncing. Those combined with carrying speed through the turns and you won't have a problem clearing the jump. 

23 hours ago, Amd241997 said:

I can carry second but if it's a real tight turn I have to slow down to basically first even though I'm in second with clutch feathered. Maybe I'm slamming the throttle open and clutch out too quick? My bike runs perfect so I know it's not that, just me.

The old layout of my favorite track had a corner and jump just as you described right down to the height and length of the table top. I'm relatively new at this and on a 4T so for what it is worth:

At first I was happy to just land on top of this jump and then continue on. But it lead into an up hill with a step up and so I needed to carry more speed to properly clear that one as well. It became clear that if I wanted to continue progressing I was needing to clear this one properly. For me it was a matter of carrying a bit more speed through the turn, leading to a better exit (more acceleration coming out) and also better at slipping the clutch (the fastest easiest shift is the one that doesn't happen). As I got better at that that corner-jump, I realized I was controlling slipping clutch (not letting it out so abrupt) and throttle (keeping the RPMs up) better and going over that jump so nice. In fact, got to the point I had to be careful not to overshoot it.

Although I don't know the slightest thing about riding a 2T other than what I read on TT, I too am surprised you need to use 1st gear. I only use 1st gear going through the parking lot 3MPH zone - LoL.

The old layout of my favorite track had a corner and jump just as you described right down to the height and length of the table top. I'm relatively new at this and on a 4T so for what it is worth:
At first I was happy to just land on top of this jump and then continue on. But it lead into an up hill with a step up and so I needed to carry more speed to properly clear that one as well. It became clear that if I wanted to continue progressing I was needing to clear this one properly. For me it was a matter of carrying a bit more speed through the turn, leading to a better exit (more acceleration coming out) and also better at slipping the clutch (the fastest easiest shift is the one that doesn't happen). As I got better at that that corner-jump, I realized I was controlling slipping clutch (not letting it out so abrupt) and throttle (keeping the RPMs up) better and going over that jump so nice. In fact, got to the point I had to be careful not to overshoot it.
Although I don't know the slightest thing about riding a 2T other than what I read on TT, I too am surprised you need to use 1st gear. I only use 1st gear going through the parking lot 3MPH zone - LoL.

I guess it's just because I haven't mastered cornering and am afraid to slide out like I have which result in a torn MCL so it makes me hesitant to carry speed but I'll have to try it next time I'm out thanks

3 hours ago, Amd241997 said:

I guess it's just because I haven't mastered cornering and am afraid to slide out like I have which result in a torn MCL so it makes me hesitant to carry speed but I'll have to try it next time I'm out thanks

The turn doesn't have a decent berm to hook up into? That would be the easiest and safest to start with.

You should be able to make it if your hard on the gas. What i do before taking on a new jump is to get used carrying speed in the corners like someone mentioned above. Make sure you can take the corner after the jump safely without running off the track or locking up the brakes and sliding out.

Is there any way you can do the jump without going around the corner? Without doing full laps just to help you get used to it. You should be able to do it in second if it's a tight corner, I would just practice clutch/throttle control. When you are comfortable just commit...

Op said he only trail rides. So this may be one of those situations where you just have to twist it in 1st gear. Cutting the corner isn't a bad idea to get the jump figured out if it's possible

You probably aren't pinning the throttle enough. Don't be afraid to Rev the piss out of it.

Takes time. Work on attacking sections looking ahead.  Learn to rail corners, attack straighs and rough stuff, brake late . and jumping will come. After you master all that stuff jumps will be the easy part and things will become instinct. You just do it :thumbsup: been there done it:ride: when i was a kid starting out id be all worried about certain jumps. My mentor would say "don't worry about the jumps if you beat them everywhere else you'll win and the jumps will come another day" he was right as always :rolleyes:

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Try going in to the turn in 2nd that bike can pull it. Watch gary semics vidoes specialy on body postion make sure its right and then you will be able to carry more speed and work on clutch and throttle control as well. Also try just practicing that one turn and jump till you get it dialed just my 2 cents and things yjat have helped me out. But keep at it and be a sponge soak up every thing anyone is willing to tell you and put it to use have fun and be safe

Try going in to the turn in 2nd that bike can pull it. Watch gary semics vidoes specialy on body postion make sure its right and then you will be able to carry more speed and work on clutch and throttle control as well. Also try just practicing that one turn and jump till you get it dialed just my 2 cents and things yjat have helped me out. But keep at it and be a sponge soak up every thing anyone is willing to tell you and put it to use have fun and be safe

• Like 1