Front sprocket shaft seal 1986 Xr250

Can I replace the front sprocket shaft seal without splitting the case? I have a seal in a gasket kit and it looks to have a lip on it like it has to be pushed out to the inside.

Hi. I replaced my counter Shaft bearing and counter Shaft oil seal last year, and it needs to be done from the inside. So, yes, according to the manual is should be done after splitting the case.

I am not an expert, and I have an XR250R from 1988. But I investigated quite a bit and came to the conclusion that a novice like me was only going to be able to do this from the inside. I do not have the tools to pry out the oil seal, and install a new one in the proper way from the outside. Even installing one from the inside was hard, and took me 2 oil seals to pull it off. I destroyed the first one. There is a metal round "spring" within the seal that is easily messed up. For you to be able to remove the oil seal from the inside you also need to remove and reinstall the counter shaft bearing. But that is not too hard.

I copied 2 segments from the Honda Service manual that cover this topic.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I appreciate the info. Maybe I will try a High Mileage 10w40  oil to condition the seal. Maybe it will stop. Otherwise, I will attempt an external replacement. I will have to bond the new seal to the case since I will have to remove the lips in the seal that retains it from the inside. If no luck then I will split the case. Just not now since I just put  the engine back in. My fault for not doing ot when it was apart.

Edited by liberty2701

I understand. I was also not crying with joy after I removed cylinder cover, head and cylinder and put it all back together again just to discover oil was leaking from the counter shaft/sprocket shaft.

I wish you all the luck, and it would be nice to know if you succeeded! If this procedure works, at will save people a lot of time.