smoking/burning up instrument cluster

Hello, 

New to the forum. I picked up a 1983 XL600R in fair condition - it has been running well until today the ignition cluster was literally smoking when I pulled into work. shortly after stopping the turn signals and horn stopped working as well. Im thinking short somewhere near where the smoke was but was also having stator problems at one point and wondering if maybe its sending way too much voltage through? Electronics are foreign to me, so please dumb it down if you have any suggestions.

Thanks y'all.

It could be a voltage problem.  I should go look at mine, since I haven't in a long time.  There is a rectifier similar to one I had on another honda that got smoking hot and ruined itself.  everything that is "converted" died when that happened. 

• Like 1

Went to check the DC regulator, I think its safe to say that its toast.. What would next steps be, test AC regulator and stator?

I wont try to run the bike now but up to this point it was running okay, just killed the battery which would make sense that the DC regulator failed. Could this all be triggered by a failing stator or did it probably start with the reg? What else is probably cooked now too?

Thanks yall.

IMG_6867.JPG

Thanks braindead0 - Ill start with the flow chart and trying to swap in a new reg. Could it be that the stator failed, then battery drained, then running with no battery cause the reg to burn etc? From what I've seen on here it seems like a pretty common failure point, just trying to figure out why so I don't repeat it with new components.

This question probably shows how little I understand about electrical systems but I'm trying here.

Edited by Newt500

Thanks braindead0 - Ill start with the flow chart and trying to swap in a new reg. Could it be that the stator failed, then battery drained, then running with no battery cause the reg to burn etc? From what I've seen on here it seems like a pretty common failure point, just trying to figure out why so I don't repeat it with new components.
This question probably shows how little I understand about electrical systems but I'm trying here.

It very well could just be the dc regulator. Do the ohm tests on stator and change out the regulator. Clean the ground contacts while your at it and then fire it up and check dc voltage immediately. A shorted reg could easily cause a dead battery.
  • Like 1

Thank you guys!

Replaced the D.C. Reg/rectifier And the Rectifier unit and both lighting circuits are back. Went for a short ride with no issues, will test stator tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Stator replaced with. RS and running well, thank you guys for your wisdom.

Second round of questions: Will adjust valves tomorrow evening but any pointers to ease starting? Reasonable to start cold (2nd or 3rd kick), evil to hot start (10 pumps with decamp lever, 19 kicks later maybe).

Looking at adding a kt 600 big bore kit this winter (any recommendations here?) and looking for leads on refurb heads or shops people have used? Currently head leaks around a poorly placed helicoil and cylinder has been rebored twice. Located in Virginia.

Thanks.

Ran the bike to work and when I parked smoke was coming, pretty heavily from the air box and the DC reg was extremely hot, exhaust hot.

No idea what's going on here.IMG_7044.thumb.JPG.401c00e282cff5d4ba0f98e05696d846.JPG