2017 Yamaha WR250F VS KTM 250 EXC-F

Hi any input between these two.

I know one is street legal vs one is Green sticker but are very similar as a package.  I'll be riding it mainly on the dirt anyways so that is why I am comparing the 2.  The only difference between the 2 is the KTM does not come with a kickstarter (one can be installed)  Price difference is about 1300 dollars.  So I already know the fact that the yamaha is about 8099 vs ktm is 9399.   I think the weight on the KTM is lighter than the Yamaha.  Yamaha is 258 wet vs. KTM 236 dry.  So lets add 10lbs and make it 246 to 250 if you install a kickstarter plus fluids on the KTM.  So the only qualms I can think of is tuning.  I know you can buy the GTYR turner and throttle stop kit for the Yamaha and the KTM black box is pretty much locked with a few exceptions.  I think the price is about the same in terms of tuning both.  Yamaha has more adjustability.  

Here in CA, green sticker bikes are registered every 2 years.  Having a plated KTM means yearly registration and making sure the turn signals are still on tact after a ride.  

So what is you take guys.    KTM 250 EXC-F or the Yamaha WR250F?

Edited by vizcarmb

If you don't need or want a street legal dirt bike I would get the WR.  You could probably get even get a better price on the WR if you look around.  I am a Ktm guy and I don't really see any upside to the 17 250excf unless you want a street legal bike. The WR is a good bike and I don't think you will notice the weight difference.  For a $100 you can get a lithium battery and save 3-4 lbs. 

• Like 3

The KTM will be a minimum of 20lbs lighter regardless of how you want to justify it. A stock WR250 weighs in at 260+lbs, approximately 12lbs heavier then a 250FX which comes in at 249lbs full AND has a smaller 2.0g tank vs the KTM and its 2.6g tank... 

Yes, the KTM is more money, but your paying for the street legal aspect too. That alone makes the bike worth $1500 more then the Yamaha, possibly even more... 

But, the WR can be a pretty spectacular machine... 

I live in CA and just went through the very same consideration.  I bought a WR250F 3 weeks ago.  For a $100 you get the Computer Module and screw for the Throttle stop.  Easy to install and makes a huge difference.  I also replaced the exhaust with an FMF Pipe ($400).  You are not going to want to keep the stock pipe as it is really restricted over the FMF.  My son bought the YZ250F at the same time.  My WR performs almost as well.  The YZ has the same pipe as I do.  It is a bit quicker and lighter but the difference is not huge.  The YZ is a Red Sticker bike as you know.  So once you do the pipe and computer you are $500 into the KTM price difference of $1300.  However, there are things I think you would also want to do with the KTM.  Such as changing the tires perhaps.  At the end of the day I just did not want a bike that was Street Legal.  I did not want to ever be tempted to ride it on the street.  However, to most folks having a bike that is street legal adds value and desirability.  No doubt about it KTM's are great bikes.

I am very happy with my decision so far.  It seems like the right one for me so far.

• Like 2

I am currently on a WR and probably going to make the switch to a 250xc two stroke for something different.  I have loved my WR and have had zero problems with it resale in Colorado is a little lower on a WR than the KTM but not drastically.  Changing the pipe made a huge difference to the WR.  My wife had one as well and she didn't change the pipe.  When you got on the two bikes back to back they were completely different animals.  It was really easy to make the WR street legal in CO as well.  Overall it has been a great bike.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,  I'm guessing comparing these 2 may not spark as a hot topic but,  really good inputs from everyone that answered.  Thank you

I was looking at this as well.  Was pretty easy to find left over 2016 WR250Fs at a good discount.  A couple of places even had new 2015 WR250Fs.

I ended up buying a used ktm 450 EXC mostly because of the money difference compared to a new WR.

Any thoughts on the 2017 wr250f vs. wr450f?

Can't seem to find anything used that trips my trigger and like the idea of fuel injection.  My plan was to buy a 250, but I've got buddies giving me advise both ways.

I'm 6'1", 180 lbs and ride mostly technical woods trails

if you ride technical woods get a 2 stroke. i was a firm believer that my crf250x was great in the woods but then i got a 17 te300. insane how much better in woods it is. lugs around in 2nd up any hill and doesn't overheatlikehe 4 strokes. zero vibration and great suspension. I'm getting 130km (80miles)  to a tank of faster flowing trails and not being conservative with the throttle at all. and it is plenty fast for when things open up

• Like 1

Thanks. I was riding a CRF250X right up until my 14 year old decided it was his this spring.  Loved it but I heard the new wr is far more nimble.  considered a 2 stroke but decided we'd all stick with 4's.  thanks for reopening that can of worms.:facepalm:

I weighed in earlier on this thread as a new WR250F owner.  So far I have been very happy with the WR.  That said I don't have anything else to compare it to as I am new to Dirtbikes.  I recently added a Rekluse Clutch to it as well.  The bike seems to lug around with plenty of power on slow trails etc.  I can keep it in second gear and it torques right up just about everything and anything.

How many of you guys change out the springs for your weight?  I am 210 pounds and 6 foot tall.  I am told that the WR250F is sprung for a rider that weighs 175 pounds or so...  Does this make a big difference?  Thanks!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, SharkbyteMe said:

I weighed in earlier on this thread as a new WR250F owner.  So far I have been very happy with the WR.  That said I don't have anything else to compare it to as I am new to Dirtbikes.  I recently added a Rekluse Clutch to it as well.  The bike seems to lug around with plenty of power on slow trails etc.  I can keep it in second gear and it torques right up just about everything and anything.

How many of you guys change out the springs for your weight?  I am 210 pounds and 6 foot tall.  I am told that the WR250F is sprung for a rider that weighs 175 pounds or so...  Does this make a big difference?  Thanks!

You bet! Suspension is everything.