Quick Fuel Question

Hello All,

I just drained all of the fuel out of my 2012 CRF250X, including the fuel in the carburetor.  I live in Utah and was able to find a gas station that sells 91 Octane Ethanol  Free Gas.  I bought the gas and added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to it.  My question is this, if the bike is going to sit for a period of time, anywhere from weeks (summer) or months (winter) is it best to leave the petcock in the "Open" position so fuel can be in the lines and the carb, or should I turn it off?  What are the advantages and disadvantages to both, again, I used stabilizer and now have fresh gas.

Question #2.  After draining all the old gas, and adding new stabilized gas, how long do I need to run the bike for to make sure the stabilizer is making its way through the lines and the carb?

Thanks so much.

I'd store with fuel in the lines and carb unless you pull the carb and clean it.

Once you have the new fuel and stabilizer in with the petcock off ride the bike until it dies. Then you'll know the old fuel is out. Then turn the petcock on and ride for a few blocks. I've forgot to turn the petcock on and gone almost a mile before the bike used what was in the lines and died.

Better to store it with the petcock in the 'OFF' position.

If for any reason the float or inlet needle/seat fails during storage, 

in the 'ON' position the fuel tank will empty itself (except the RESERVE amount)

thru the bowl overflow tubes onto the storage area's floor.

A lot of my gas powered equipment go for months without use, never use ot have a problem with that except for empty carburetors, and then E10 arrived. The problem with E10 is the ethanol absorbs moisture from the air, which enables bacteria growth, which fouls carburetors.  I've had carbs foul during a ride in mid season. :banghead:  

I also store cars/PUs for six months a year with E10 in them and have no problems, but they all have EFI so the fuel has little/no contact with air. What I've learned to do with small engines and my bikes:

• Turn off the gas between use/rides.
  • Drain all gas before storage (tanks, lines, carb)
  • Only use E-zero for premix because the ethanol causes mixing/separation issues.
  • Gas storage life is shorter in plastic than steel containers so I never keep more than six weeks of gas in plastic, old gas goes into a car.
  • Those little inline fuel filters do not stop growth in the carb float bowl.
  • Like 1

Good advice Chuck - agree completely

Sea Foam is another good product as a gas additive to prolong its life as well as other good things

Edited by dogeddie