Sign in to follow this  

Problem shifting into 3rd gear.

Hi Thumpertalk.  All the other gears shift fine and no false neutrals, but shifting up from 2nd into 3rd gear doesn't work most of the time unless I pull the clutch in, let the RPMs drop almost all the way down to idle, then I can finally click the shifter up into third.  Going down to into third or down into 2nd no problem.  Shifting up into any of the other gears no problem.  But 90% of the time I can't shift up into 3rd until the engine is way down in the rev range.  Just started happening out of the blue too. It's not like it's been steadily getting worse over time.  I've read about a lot of people having this same problem when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but I've never read anyone having this problem going from 2nd to 3rd. Any ideas?  Think it might be that darn gearshift cam?  Thanks for the input.

Update: I adjusted the clutch lever slightly and the problem went away completely!  I adjusted the cable tension, making it slightly tighter, so that it disengages the engine a tad sooner towards the beginning of lever travel.  This is really weird to me because this issue shouldn't be affected by clutch cable tension at all.  In fact now I don't have to pull the clutch in at all, just let off the throttle briefly to unload it, then it snicks right up into 3rd and all the rest of the gears just fine. Well now I guess everything's ok.

Now lube the lever pivot bolt with water proof grease. Lube the pivot at the clutch cover with chain lube and lube the clutch IMG_0007.JPG
cable with a cable lube tool.

While your at it, lube the throttle cable also.

The clutch lever/perch assembly is new and properly lubricated (including the pivot bolt), the clutch cable is new and lubricated with dry moly lube, and carefully adjusted.  In fact this clutch lever feels amazingly smooth and easy to pull.  WAAAAY better than stock.  

• Like 1